What's new

Pro versus RT

Wayne Orwig

OK, this may be a dumb question, but how do I easily tell if a windows tablet is an x86 versus an ARM processor? As in, Win Pro versus Win RT?

I occasionally see interesting tablets, but I never see anything at a quick glance at the ad, that tells me which type of device it is.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK, this may be a dumb question, but how do I easily tell if a windows tablet is an x86 versus an ARM processor? As in, Win Pro versus Win RT?

I occasionally see interesting tablets, but I never see anything at a quick glance at the ad, that tells me which type of device it is.
Currently the only Win RT devices on the market are the Surface 2, Surface RT and the Lumia 2520.
Anything that lists using an Atom Processor/Intel Atom Processor is x86 which is what all the new cheap tablets are running.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh, there are a couple off brand tablets running an off brand x86 CPU like Winbook and probably another I dont recall the name of.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It won't matter come Windows 10 :)
But, will any vendors offer WIN10RT? what's their/the GoToMarket proposition? Without a GTM proposition no vendor will bother as before. Believe me they will NOT just figure it out. WinBing being Free eliminates any price incentive and attempting to compete with your brother on price is not a winning proposition anyway. I know why I *might* want it... but I haven't seen it so it will depend on what's in the box.
Now if it would run Cross Platform Apps... woah. :cool:

BTW if they need a tester I'm available. :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
But, will any vendors offer WIN10RT? what's their/the GoToMarket proposition? Without a GTM proposition no vendor will bother as before. Believe me they will NOT just figure it out. WinBing being Free eliminates any price incentive and attempting to compete with your brother on price is not a winning proposition anyway. I know why I *might* want it... but I haven't seen it so it will depend on what's in the box.
Now if it would run Cross Platform Apps... woah. :cool:

BTW if they need a tester I'm available. :)
If the rumors are correct (and these have come from typically reliable sources), All devices under 10" (SST and Phone) will be using the same version of Windows 10, a mobile SKU with no legacy support (read - no desktop on Modern UI 2.0). This includes all ARM devices and Intel ATOM devices. If you read the reviews of the 7 and 8" Windows 8.1 Tablets (Stream 7, Winbook, Toshiba Encore, etc.) they reviewers deride the desktop on these devices but say the MUI works great and one should only use these devices in the MUI Environment.

So once ARM and ATOM are running the same OS it becomes a non-issue of RT vs. 8.1 as they will be running Windows 10's mobile SKU.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the rumors are correct (and these have come from typically reliable sources), All devices under 10" (SST and Phone) will be using the same version of Windows 10, a mobile SKU with no legacy support (read - no desktop on Modern UI 2.0). This includes all ARM devices and Intel ATOM devices. If you read the reviews of the 7 and 8" Windows 8.1 Tablets (Stream 7, Winbook, Toshiba Encore, etc.) they reviewers deride the desktop on these devices but say the MUI works great and one should only use these devices in the MUI Environment.

So once ARM and ATOM are running the same OS it becomes a non-issue of RT vs. 8.1 as they will be running Windows 10's mobile SKU.
Ahh, Microsoft iMobile err... wMobile err... .Mobile

Well Mobile was used before... maybe a different name... CE .. no, Windows Free :)

macmee

Why would Microsoft intentionally limit the platform when one of the only benefits they have over ios and android is that their tablets run a full os?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Why would Microsoft intentionally limit the platform when one of the only benefits they have over ios and android is that their tablets run a full os?
Because the desktop on a 7 or 8" device is suboptimal at best and awful at worse, The Classic Windows Desktop was designed for 12" or greater screens running at 1024x768 to 1400x1050 not high DPI small screens. They have very low NSAT on the desktop side on SST devices but much higher NSAT on the Modern UI.

Universal Apps should improve the App landscape, since they will work on all platforms from IoT, ARM, x86/x64 and Xbox One.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Because the desktop on a 7 or 8" device is suboptimal at best and awful at worse, The Classic Windows Desktop was designed for 12" or greater screens running at 1024x768 to 1400x1050 not high DPI small screens. They have very low NSAT on the desktop side on SST devices but much higher NSAT on the Modern UI.

Universal Apps should improve the App landscape, since they will work on all platforms from IoT, ARM, x86/x64 and Xbox One.
As long as there are equivalent MUI control panel apps and management tools including MUI Command Prompt and Powershell I don't care. :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
We're starting to see the Modernization of the classic desktop as the merge the two UIs in the leaked build, I believe the legacy control panel will be mostly (or fully) replaced with the MUI Versions. CMD Prompt is useless on a desktopless OS (you would never see a CMD Prompt on a Phone). Management will be done via MDM\MAM.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
We're starting to see the Modernization of the classic desktop as the merge the two UIs in the leaked build, I believe the legacy control panel will be mostly (or fully) replaced with the MUI Versions. CMD Prompt is useless on a desktopless OS (you would never see a CMD Prompt on a Phone). Management will be done via MDM\MAM.
That's where the thinking breaks down, tablets aren't phones. Phone and phone app market share is so far underwater it's lower than the Titanic and probably right next to MH370. Now there's this gigantic Albatross being hung on tablets with a phone mindset that's produced nothing in years.

I wouldn't be betting my future on that because the strategy has worked so well up till now. /S :)