What's new

Question about included power supply

Apologies, I meant the Note 5 of course. Ok, it seems the consensus is that the included charger will not charge the latest phone.

It does not on my SP4 for either my old Galaxy Note II, nor my new Note 5. It did on the power supply for my SP3s (i5 and i7 both).

BikeRanger

I have found that the standard 36w power adapter is not sufficient to even power the i7 at full load.
Exactly my experience with i7 SP4. Even using the SP3 dock, the SP4 slowly drains under heavy use, then won't recharge without a complete shutdown. Or worse -- today only a 2-button restart would get it to charge.

Already tried reinstalling the battery driver. Headed to the MS store for the SP4 dock, but given it has the same power rating as the 3's, I'm not optimistic.

I could tolerate the slow drain if it would recharge afterwards, but it just sits there "plugged in, not charging" after the heavy work is done.

BikeRanger

...it has the same power rating as the 3's, I'm not optimistic.
I was wrong -- the SP4 dock's power brick has a higher output than the SP3's.

But it still seems the SP4's included power supply can't support heavy use without battery drain. And acrobatics are required, at least sometimes, to trigger a recharge once the hard work ends.

Testing with the SP4 dock, will report back.

Having the very same issue with my SP4-i7 and Galaxy S6. With both devices plugged in NEITHER can steadily charge and keep going "on battery" The list of compromises keeps growing as does my buyers remorse!

Mike007

I was wrong -- the SP4 dock's power brick has a higher output than the SP3's.

But it still seems the SP4's included power supply can't support heavy use without battery drain. And acrobatics are required, at least sometimes, to trigger a recharge once the hard work ends.

Testing with the SP4 dock, will report back.
Would be interested to see what you find.

I believe the sp4 dock has a 90w charger. So the sp4 should be able to charge and run at full load at the same time with this adapter.
Unless of course, the Surface itself is limited to only draw so much power from the adapter.

BikeRanger

Sorry it took a bit. Used SP3 i7 and SP4 i7 with included chargers, SP3 and SP4 docks.

In identical heavy load tests:
  • Both SP3 and SP4 had battery drain on included chargers
  • Both SP3 and SP4 had battery drain on SP3 dock
  • SP4 did not have battery drain on SP4 dock
After completing the test in the SP3 dock:
  • The SP3 recharged
  • The SP4 did not recharge until restarted (in some cases using 2-button reboot)
Meh, lots of laptops come with chargers that can't keep up. But I hoped the SP3 dock could power the SP4 at max load, or at least charge it after a draw-down. Nope, it can't even handle the i7 SP3.

manoroid

Hey guys what charger is supposed to come with my i7 sp4? Mine came with a 48watt? Would this charge while I game?

Last edited:

Mike007

Hey guys what charger is supposed to come with my i7 sp4? Mine came with a 48watt? Would this charge while I game?
Really? 48w? I've never seen this one. Are you sure?

My i7 came with a 36w adapter and it's not enough to power a fully loaded i7

BikeRanger

Interesting occurrence with my SP4 i7 16G, on SP4 dock.

Yesterday I left it with an intensive Premiere render. It's handled harder tasks with no problem -- when powered by the dock. This morning, the render is done and everything's fine, except "54% available plugged in not charging."

Only Premiere Pro running. No crashes, no power failure. It was 100% about 1/2 hour before I left.

I'm concerned this may point to SP4 dock not being able to keep up either. And the "not charging" thing may still be there, masked by a beefier power supply. But it's been fine on the dock; I could certainly be overlooking something.

Restart doesn't trigger charging. Nor does shutdown with a break and two-finger start-up. It seems stuck at "54% available plugged in not charging." Anyone have thoughts on this?