What's new

Solved Ran Updates, now Start Menu wont work

taylork1

Please help, I've tried everything I know.

I keep my Surface 3 updated, so when new updates were ready, I went for it without thinking twice. Now, my Start Menu wont work and neither does the Action Center. I can't find out much about what was updated. I'm stuck with the icons pinned to my toolbar and shortcuts on my desktop.

Thank you,

Telstar1948

I don't recall if the updates you refer to were system updates or hardware firmware updates. If the former, you should be able to rollback any system updates.

OP
T

taylork1

I suspect they were firmware updates, but could have been both. The system is a total mess. How do I rollback the system updates? I can still right-click on the Start Menu and get to those functions, and I can get to the command prompt.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Some things you can try:

PowerShell
This was a common solution for Start Menu problems with the CTP:

Type CMD and open by right clicking run as administrator

From PowerShell paste the following line:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml

Wait for commandlete to finish (ignore any error codes)

Check if your Start Menu is working now, if not try the following solution.

Registry Editor

Go to Search, type regedit and open Registry Editor

Go to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ ImmersiveShell\Launcher

Click Edit, New, DWORD (32-bit) Value, and name it UseExperience

Double-click the newly created item and set the value to 0

Click OK, close the Registry Editor and then restart your computer

Reset or Refresh

Last resort, do a Factory Reset or Refresh from:

Settings....Update

OP
T

taylork1

Yes, thank you. I did both the Powershell script and created the new Registry key. Neither worked. I can't get to any Settings menu, but I can access the control panel. Found this:
System and Security > Security and Maintenance > Recovery

Is this the same thing? Never had to roll back before.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, thank you. I did both the Powershell script and created the new Registry key. Neither worked. I can't get to any Settings menu, but I can access the control panel. Found this:
System and Security > Security and Maintenance > Recovery

Is this the same thing? Never had to roll back before.
Yes...

OP
T

taylork1

OH NO! I just tried to do the "Restore System File and Settings" and got the message: System Protection is turned off. ... I didn't even know this was an option - and it is turned off????

There is an option "If you're having trouble with your PC, go to Settings and try resetting it." When I click on that, the window goes to "Not Responding".

I'm so frustrated. Any other suggestions?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
OH NO! I just tried to do the "Restore System File and Settings" and got the message: System Protection is turned off. ... I didn't even know this was an option - and it is turned off????

There is an option "If you're having trouble with your PC, go to Settings and try resetting it." When I click on that, the window goes to "Not Responding".

I'm so frustrated. Any other suggestions?
Sorry, I misunderstood you last post, you went into the legacy Control Panel. That is not the same thing as Settings.

But the fact you can get to the legacy is a good thing, go to Program and Updates and uninstall all of the Updates that were applied prior to this happening....

OP
T

taylork1

First of all, THANK YOU for sticking with me on this. I'm grateful for your help.

I found and uninstalled the Windows update that was installed yesterday, "Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB135173)". It restarted fine and gave all the usual messages. But the problem still exists.

Do you think this could have been caused by a firmware update? To me, it seems like a Windows problem. Is there a way to reapply a good copy of the Firmware?

OP
T

taylork1

One more thing - out of desperation, after I uninstalled the last Windows update, I reran the Powershell script and verified the Registry key. Did not fix the problem.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
One more thing - out of desperation, after I uninstalled the last Windows update, I reran the Powershell script and verified the Registry key. Did not fix the problem.
Try this:

Using System File Checker in Windows 10

System File Checker is a utility available in Windows 10 that checks for system file corruption. It's recommended for advanced users. To run it:
  1. Right-click (or press and hold) the Start button, then select Command Prompt (Admin).
  2. Enter sfc /scannow (note the space between "sfc" and "/").