What's new

Re. November 2 Hardware Update

ABswl13

Is anyone else having the November 2nd hardware update continuing to pop up every couple days, even though it was already successfully installed?

flar

I installed it soon after it was released and I just saw it pop up again in a Windows Update a few minutes ago. I didn't watch the update progress, but when I turned back to the SB a few minutes later it said that there had been a problem with the updates and there was a Retry button. I clicked Retry and it said I was up to date. Rebooting and rerunning Update still says I'm up to date. Strange.

Another thing I've noticed is there seems to always be a new Defender Definitions update when I run Update, unless I immediately "check for updates" right after it installs. Leave it for a few hours and there it is again. I suppose I should be glad if they really are updating it that often with new virus definitions, but it seems to appear much more frequently than any Win 8 machine I've maintained.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I installed it soon after it was released and I just saw it pop up again in a Windows Update a few minutes ago. I didn't watch the update progress, but when I turned back to the SB a few minutes later it said that there had been a problem with the updates and there was a Retry button. I clicked Retry and it said I was up to date. Rebooting and rerunning Update still says I'm up to date. Strange.

Another thing I've noticed is there seems to always be a new Defender Definitions update when I run Update, unless I immediately "check for updates" right after it installs. Leave it for a few hours and there it is again. I suppose I should be glad if they really are updating it that often with new virus definitions, but it seems to appear much more frequently than any Win 8 machine I've maintained.
Lately Defender updates seem to come every couple of hours, even on 8.1.

I thought it might be reapplying the same one but the number is different every time.