What's new

Reasons for Surface

Max_1981

Administrator
IMHO the Surface (Pro) Line has been MS's best idea so far. Sorry guys but screw Apple and Google - what I want is a fully compatible Windows tablet, that can be turned into a notebook or as well desktop replacement if needed. And IMHO all approaches so far went wrong - except Microsoft's Surface (Pro) - line. I don't wanna be an Apple slave nor a Google zombie. I wanna run f*ck all software I want to without being limited to what Apple or Google allows me to run. And I don't wanna have to sync my music with stupid iTunes. And neither do I want to have to "root" my expensive device and loose all warranty just to be able to do whatever I want to do with the machine I paid a load of hard earned money for. Screw Apple and Google! Long live Surface

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

Max_1981

Administrator
I will dump my stupid Android (Galaxy S4) phone soon. Screw Samsung too.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrippsCorner

Yes, well... calm down dear. Surface is a wonderful product indeed, and I am a self-proclaimed Microsoft fanboy, but I also respect Apple & Google completely. I use an iPhone and Google search/maps all the time, every company has it's merits. Just because you choose one particular product doesn't mean you have to bash all the others :) my girlfriend has an iPad and I think it's a great device, it works for her as she has different needs to me.

Here's not to 'one company' but to all technology! :D

PS: Android sucks, lol.

CrippsCorner

Every company has their dud piece of software... iTunes is definitely Apple's, and imo Microsoft's is Skype.

malberttoo

I love my SP3. I liked my original S Pro, but the size just wasn't cutting it for me, too small to be useful to me on a daily basis. My primary laptop has been of the 12" variety though, so the SP3 was perfect.

My first "smart" phone was a HTC 8600/Titan, a phone with a slider and running Windows Mobile, a truly horrible experience. Went from that to an iPhone 3GS, and it was pure bliss on the the phone front. We use Exchange at work, and I couldn't keep the 8600 synced for more than 5 or 6 weeks before having to re-do the connection. After I switched to the iPhone, I never had a single issue. But then I wanted a bigger screen after a while, and when the iPhone 5 was just stretched a little from the 4, I jumped ship to the HTC one. Which I love, by the way.

However, HTC's implementation of a music manager is terrible. Tried it once and never went back. iTunes doesn't thrill me either, although I have the bulk of my music library there. My digital reading is all in the Nook app, read either on an iPad or my Surface.

I am truly fractured, technologically. And I suspect I always will be. The Surface, or something like it, will probably always be the "hub" of my life, and even though I like Apple products, and am Microsoft certified, I doubt any company will ever get me to go "all in", and live only in their ecosystem.

I am looking forward, however, to see exactly how Microsoft CAN push the Surface platform even further.

malberttoo

Every company has their dud piece of software... iTunes is definitely Apple's, and imo Microsoft's is Skype.

I don't think it's necessarily a "dud'... definitely needs some major freshening, and some overhaul of the features.

I think it's the only decent messaging app (voice, chat, and video) that's available on all platforms?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
As Microsoft continues to integrate Lync and Skype it will only get better as a product suite....

DogmaHunter

Being a software engineer burried upto his neck in .NET and xaml, I'm off course somewhat biased when it comes to my choice of technology.

Still, having acknowledged that, I feel like microsoft is the best choice if you wish to burry yourself into a single eco-system / platform.

Apple... I don't really have anything against their products. Obviously, they make high quality products. What I have problems with is their "protectionist" tendency. If it were upto apple, they would be the ONLY tech company. Their software only runs on their hardware and they WILL engage in proprietary peripheral tech (thus ignoring industry standards) whenever they feel they can get away with it. I loath such practices.

Google... I hate google. I also hate facebook. I hate all tech which are, in reality, nothing but a platform to serve you with targeted ads. I loath the fact that I can say that the ONLY reason why products like gmail, android, chrome, chromeOS, google drive, google docs, etc exist is to gather your personal data to sell ads. Economically, google is not a tech company. It's an advertising company. Or, a company that puts virtual billboards up for rent for advertising. And they use your personal data to do it. It's disgusting.

Not that I agree with or approve of everything microsoft does. But at least they are a legit software company that makes money from actually selling products and services. And their software plays nicely with such a wide range of hardware (and even software of the competition) that I see little reason to chose another brand to power my computing needs.

I also feel like, with a surface pro as ONLY computing device, one REALLY lives in the "post-pc" era. All the others, including the ones who invented the "post-pc" idea, are still stuck in the "PC-plus" era. :)

CrippsCorner

I don't think it's necessarily a "dud'... definitely needs some major freshening, and some overhaul of the features.

I think it's the only decent messaging app (voice, chat, and video) that's available on all platforms?

The simple fact with Skype is that I was previously using MSN/WLM for something like 10 years and never, ever had an issue (bar the odd down time) but with Skype, basically... it doesn't work, simple as that.

Just to use the damn thing on Surface I have to have Skype running on my iPhone just to read the messages, as they can take over 24 hours to appear on Surface! There have been updates to try and fix this issue, but nothing's actually worked. Great piece of 'instant messaging' software! :p