What's new

Recall makes the Surface Pro 3 worthless

Erik1969

I tried to trade my Surface Pro 3 into Best Buy over the weekend for something that doesn't get so hot, it cooks eggs. Best Buy won't accept a trade-in because of the recall. That makes my Surface Pro essentially worthless.

I am sick of buying Microsoft products because they turn out to be defective. It started with the Xbox 360 (red-ring of death). I had to return my Xbox One for a replacement. Now my Surface Pro 3 is worthless.

I spent over a half hour with Microsoft Support today. This consisted of being shuttled back and forth and placed on long hold times. Finally they said there is nothing that they can do. How do they stay in business?

First of all, sorry to hear you're having such bad luck with your SP3. I've had some issues with mine as well but not to your extend.

I'm sure some of the more experienced members will chime in and help you but most likely they will need additional information.

What makes your SP3 so hot? What OS are you running? What software are you typically using? Have you checked the Task Manager to see what is running when your SP3 is running hot? Have you tried resetting it? etc etc.

If everything fails, and if your SP3 is still under warranty, I would ask MS to do an exchange for you.

Chris Stephen

Hi.

What recall are you referring to? If it's the one for the power cord you are referring to, I would hardly say that makes the SP3 worthless. There are no other recalls that I am aware of.

Yes the SP3 can get warm at times when you push it hard, but other than that, it should run cool. Like next_milenium said above, it's likely you have something running that's causing it to run hot.

Last edited:
OP
E

Erik1969

When I buy computer equipment, I expect it to hold its value. If I can not resell it, because there is a recall it is upsetting. I would compare it to a car. If your new car is worth zero (0) dollars after a year of use, I sure that would be upsetting to you as well. Here is a link to Best Buy's website showing the zero value for a Surface Pro 3 128 gb, I5.

Best Buy Trade-In

Red-Oak

I have an i5 128GB Pro 3 and am aware of no recall, other than the power cord replacement. Cord already on its way to me.

ETA OT FYI - Filed claim for new cord on 1/21/16, it will be here today, 1/27/16 - can't complain about this.

Last edited:

CrockettGTO

Sorry to hear. Not sure if I missed it, but when did you purchase your SP3?
I thought the charger & power cable recall was for only units manufacturered before July 2015?

yonghong

I have an i5 128GB Pro 3 and am aware of no recall, other than the power cord replacement. Cord already on its way to me.

ETA OT FYI - Filed claim for new cord on 1/21/16, it will be here today, 1/27/16 - can't complain about this.
I already got my power cord replacement a years ago ,can I recall my old one to get another one
? Thanks, Do the power adaptor have SN to recall?