What's new

Recovery image

Derekamoss

Is there anyone willing to share a Surface Recovery Image that is 1709(Fall creator). I can only download 1703(creators update). It would be nice not having to go through all the updates.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
AFAIK, there isn't one for 1709 and if this is correct there won't be one.
You can use the Media Creation Tool to make a 1709 installation USB and do a clean install from that. Take advantage of the Get Updates during the installation (even though you'll still likely have updates do to afterwards). AFAIK anything included in the Surface Recovery image not included in the generic W 10 install can be reinstalled from your MS account Apps List in the store otherwise the only thing you'd be out is Drawboard PDF which costs $10.

OP
D

Derekamoss

Ah. I see... If you use the Windows Media Creation tool, you loose the Surface OEM branding. I know its only visual fluff but I'm OCD lol. Also I have tried both ways and for some reason the surface image over creation tool has always seemed more stable, placebo effect or not.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ah. I see... If you use the Windows Media Creation tool, you loose the Surface OEM branding. I know its only visual fluff but I'm OCD lol. Also I have tried both ways and for some reason the surface image over creation tool has always seemed more stable, placebo effect or not.
Hmm, Surface OEM branding ... Do you have an itemized list of these branding thingies?

OP
D

Derekamoss

Well oobe for pen setup and then where it says Surface on the right side of the system info control panel. As I said all just visual fluff.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well oobe for pen setup and then where it says Surface on the right side of the system info control panel. As I said all just visual fluff.
The reason I asked was it might be possible to search out these items and replicate them.

OP
D

Derekamoss

The reason I asked was it might be possible to search out these items and replicate them.

Ahh I see thank you. Also doing it that way causes the surface service to start on boot up and flash a command prompt quickly when logging in where as the surface image through upgrades takes it away.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ahh I see thank you. Also doing it that way causes the surface service to start on boot up and flash a command prompt quickly when logging in where as the surface image through upgrades takes it away.
I suppose it depends on how you implement it, run once or remove after run etc. there are ways if one is determined. OEM customizations are not anything new.