What's new

Remote Desktop for work use

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you have any suggestion for a good remote desktop program. I know Windows has one, but I just wanted to see if there are any others to check out.

What I plan on doing is have my Surface Pro 3 as the computer at work and I want to be able to access all of my programs and files on my home PC. I am a web designer/developer, and the programs that I will be using are the Adobe Creative Cloud products, i.e. Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver...etc.

I thought I could maybe use my rig at home to do all of the work and stream it to my Surface Pro 3 while at work. I figure I would be able to save some space, as well as having not having the SP3 work so hard.

Thank you in advance for any and all help, advice and suggestions.

Testudo

Roozbeh

anybody know of a remote desktop solution that works in connected standby?
I know for sure teamviewer doesnt!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the response.

Have you ever experienced any sort of lag or anything? Also, is TeamViewer secure and safe?
I'm skeptical Teamviewer would work well for the things you described. it uses a lot of bandwidth for even the basics and any elevated privilege prompt will stop you dead in your tracks. Although its fine for basic remote control functions I think you would exceed its capabilities.

ynohtna

remote desktop by microsoft is awesome as long as you know how to forward ports. When travelling, I always just bring my Surface RT to connect to my main machine(s) It's like being there! :)

Grooves

In our company we use VNC server on the clients and RDP for our Windows servers.
On my SP3 I use mRemoteNG, a program capable of connecting to RDP,VNC,SSH,Telenet,HTTP,HTTPS, etc... And you can build up a tree of machines to connect to.
The resulting config file with all my remote connections is simple XML that I have put on OneDrive so every change I make is replicated to my other workstations. ;):cool:

remote desktop by microsoft is awesome as long as you know how to forward ports. When travelling, I always just bring my Surface RT to connect to my main machine(s) It's like being there! :)

Any advice or tutorials that you can think of? I read about port forwarding being vulnerable to security attacks. How much truth is in that?

In our company we use VNC server on the clients and RDP for our Windows servers.
On my SP3 I use mRemoteNG, a program capable of connecting to RDP,VNC,SSH,Telenet,HTTP,HTTPS, etc... And you can build up a tree of machines to connect to.
The resulting config file with all my remote connections is simple XML that I have put on OneDrive so every change I make is replicated to my other workstations. ;):cool:

Thanks! That last bit is a little out of my area of expertise :p. Can you explain a bit more, please?

Grooves

Any advice or tutorials that you can think of? I read about port forwarding being vulnerable to security attacks. How much truth is in that?

Thanks! That last bit is a little out of my area of expertise :p. Can you explain a bit more, please?
We install VNC server (any version) on our client computers. mRemoteNG is basically a multifunctional viewer. So if you want to RemoteDesktop to a server or take over a client with VNC or use the https URL to your firewall interface, you don't need 3 different programs to do 3 different things, you just use 1 program for all. And since you can save the connections and order them any way you like it is very easy to setup a tree with connections in your mRemoteNG side panel.
(BTW: i'm not working for them nor do i get paid by them *unfortunatelly*) ;)
You can see a screenshot and more explanation at www.mremoteng.org

Cheers,
Olav