What's new

Replacement Units?

Hmmmm

One of the stickers on the brown box should have the letters DESG and the word Repaired next to it. These are definitely returns. And don't count on them arriving in brand new condition. The refurb I got has scratches on the screen, back cover, near the charging port, even more near the SD port, near the camera (WTF?) and a small amount of paint missing. Needless to say, I'm not thrilled. Oh, and for those who are suffering a long wait receiving a replacement from Microsoft, a handy trick is to tell them to keep the device and request a refund. I genuinely wanted a refund and told them to keep the device. I received the refurb the next day. I was outright lied to by the person handling my return. He said he could not stop the refurb from being sent out, even though I sent the request before the next business day, my order had not yet updated, the courier company did not take possession of the package till late that afternoon and I didn't receive the pro forma emails till that afternoon either. It's quite ironic I was sent a refurb pronto when I did not want it and others willing to persevere with these flawed devices (but my defeat was more to do with their unprecedentedly flawed 'customer service') get hung out to dry. Given my experience (torture) I'm no longer surprised.

CrippsCorner

What countries are you guys from? UK here and my replacement unit was absolutely mint... in fact I'm very lucky as the unit I sent back didn't have a problem after all (long story) and I had previously scratched it.

I'm currently going through an ASUS return and omg the hassle! Such a pain in the arse... I'm sorry but Microsoft gets a thumbs up compared to these clowns.

OP
K

kneehawk

To answer my own question, my unit was flawless. As far as I could tell it was brand new.

Just out of curiousity, anybody have any experience replacing it in-store? Is that even possible given that most stores don't have any in stock?

Hmmmm

I've read many who have received flawless externals but others like myself have received scratched up units. I also read, and I'm not sure how accurate it is because as they said they were making assumptions, but some people who bought Surface Pros marketed as refurbished swore they received a brand new unit from the large stocks Microsoft had at the time. You'd think they would have saved a certain amount for the number of devices they expected would become defective over time. In case you can't tell, I'm bitter By the way, I'm in Australia.

Well my SP1 128 started to show the yellow discoloration along the vertical borders of the screen, both right and left sides but the right side is more visible.

Sadly there are no more of the original pros stocked at the local Microsoft stores so I will be sending mine in tomorrow :(

I hope I do not become another victim of getting a crappy condition replacement because like many of you I have pampered my surface.

I must say that the ms representative was very accommodating, she called and checked the local b&m MS stores in my area and even called the local Best Buy to see if they would do an in-store exchange... none of that worked out but I still felt she went beyond the call of duty :)

fingers crossed that they send me an SP2

So I dropped off the SP1 at my local FedEx which packaged and over-nighted the device. I confirmed via tracking that it was indeed received the next morning which was exactly 1 week ago. Yesterday I get a delayed email saying the service center received my package (which occurred 6 days prior) and would send out the replacement in 2 business days. I was originally quoted a 5-7 business day turn around from the date the device was received so only time will tell if they are going to keep their word.

I still have another year on my Microsoft Complete coverage. I wonder if there would be any more replacement SP1 this time next year? Hopefully I can score a newer model and then add Microsoft Complete to that device and keep these replacements coming endlessly!

jacewt

I replaced mine a couple of minds ago because the fan was making an infernal noise. The unit was refurbished, the only real mark being sings of having been plugged in on the charging port. The screen was perfect. The unit looked great, no other sign of wear. The battery had so much less wear than my old one. I was very satisfied. I did the advance exchange but the return directions weren't great and it made me a bit nervous but everything worked out. Make sure you take down your tracking number because MS won't have a real way of showing you if they got your package on their website.

OP
K

kneehawk

Hey guys
So I lucked out big time
I needed a replacement right away (yes anothre one). I had a flight to catch the next day so I took it into the nearest microsoft store.
They didn't have any surface pro 1s or 2s in stock... so guess what? they offered the Surface Pro 3.
I had to pay the difference of my original purchase price (they looked it up using the serial number) and the cost of a pro 3. I also bought the complete bundle (type cover + warranty + case) so I ended up paying around $400.

Hey guys
So I lucked out big time
I needed a replacement right away (yes anothre one). I had a flight to catch the next day so I took it into the nearest microsoft store.
They didn't have any surface pro 1s or 2s in stock... so guess what? they offered the Surface Pro 3.
I had to pay the difference of my original purchase price (they looked it up using the serial number) and the cost of a pro 3. I also bought the complete bundle (type cover + warranty + case) so I ended up paying around $400.
Hello, I was curious which MS store performed the upgrade for you? I just went through the replacement process by mail and my replacement is no longer in working order after only 13 days... I am hoping to get lucky like you have.

CrippsCorner

Hey guys
So I lucked out big time

Wow, cool deal! Shame we still don't have any officially Microsoft stores over here...

jacewt

So I dropped off the SP1 at my local FedEx which packaged and over-nighted the device. I confirmed via tracking that it was indeed received the next morning which was exactly 1 week ago. Yesterday I get a delayed email saying the service center received my package (which occurred 6 days prior) and would send out the replacement in 2 business days. I was originally quoted a 5-7 business day turn around from the date the device was received so only time will tell if they are going to keep their word.

I still have another year on my Microsoft Complete coverage. I wonder if there would be any more replacement SP1 this time next year? Hopefully I can score a newer model and then add Microsoft Complete to that device and keep these replacements coming endlessly!
I just exchanged again for fan noise. It crackled. This time, it appears that I got a new one, or that the case is new. I think I only get two replacements so this is it. I am hoping SP3 gets a price drop in 2015.