What's new

Return for Pro...How Many?

cafutter

Forgive my newbie question. But several posters have mentioned the digitizer. What is it and what does it do? What advantage does it offer?
Thanks.

I have answered my own question:
A digitzer is an input device that enables you to enter drawings and sketches into a computer.

Last edited:

MSurfaceWA

My thoughts are that I will stick with the RT also, but I think it has a lot to do with 3 things -

1) Battery Life - will the Pro version get similar battery life to the RT? How close does it have to be?
2) Weight - one of my main reasons to go tablet is to avoid heavy laptops and get the best compromise between pleasure/work use in the lightest package
3) Apps - if we can get the RT apps we need to cover the full windows apps we want, it may render the pro less desirable to people for desktop windows apps and more for higher performance needs

It will be interesting to see how this plays out with version 2 and 3 of both products.

joga

Aw: return for pro...how many?

I bought the Surface 2 weeks ago. Very happy with the device in general, but i'm having constant hw issues.

I will return my Surface and will preorder the Surface Pro asap. Can't wait...
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

guitar1969

Sticking with RT as well. It is what I want for form factor, battery etc. I think after Pro is released, we will see a surge in RT sales as well when people realize the limitations of Pro and the tradeoffs. The Windows store is growing leaps and bounds as well so apps will not be an issue longterm.

What's frustrating is all the bad publicity on the RT from people who have not given it a chance (Apple lovers). Everyone who actually owns one, likes it so I am not sure if its just the MS-haters or what but I think as things settle down afte rthe holidays, the Surface will grow in popularity.

pallentx

Sticking with RT as well. It is what I want for form factor, battery etc. I think after Pro is released, we will see a surge in RT sales as well when people realize the limitations of Pro and the tradeoffs.
I agree. I think people are being fairly unrealistic about what a Surface Pro will allow them to do. Sure, it will run all your legacy stuff, but this is a tablet. Legacy apps generally aren't going to be easy on a smaller screen with a touch interface. As the store gets more options, I think there will be less an less desire for the Pro. I want a tablet for ultra portability and a more touch-based experience.

Codevine

I agree. I think people are being fairly unrealistic about what a Surface Pro will allow them to do. Sure, it will run all your legacy stuff, but this is a tablet. Legacy apps generally aren't going to be easy on a smaller screen with a touch interface. As the store gets more options, I think there will be less an less desire for the Pro. I want a tablet for ultra portability and a more touch-based experience.
I think most of the people will use the cover's touchpad when in desktop mode/running legacy apps. Of course, the a bigger screens is pretty much always better in terms of productivity and convenience, but seeing that there is a big enough market for 11" devices, the Surface Pro should do just fine. It kind of is a netbook, but with a lot more of performance. I also highly doubt that there will be apps like Visual Studio, Adobe Illustrator or other stuff (which I need to use for university) in the store anywhere near in the future (if ever). Not to mention the Pen/Digitizer with Pen Pressure and more.

I still have to wait for reviews and try the device out myself, however, if it doesn't turn out to be the device I want, I will probably wait for the second generation. I want a device for both, entertainment and work, and I just can't do that with the Surface RT (or any other tablet besides full Windows devices). I don't want to take 2 devices with me.

Starfire

The rumor is half the battery life of the RT, that's enough right there that I'm not interested. At that point just give me a touchscreen ultrabook with 7-8 hours of battery not 4-5

Sin

Originally I wanted the Surface Pro, but after using the Surface RT, the Pro has lost a bit of shine. I really like the RT and while there are applications that I would love to use, I want Metro versions of those application not old legacy versions that expect a keyboard/mouse interface. As more applications migrate to Metro apps, the need for handling legacy software will decrease. I see the desktop as a necessity during the transition, since the change to Metro apps is too large a change to make cold turkey.

R0bR

My Surface is my personal device but if it had a Cisco AnyConnect app I could do 95% of my actual work on it through RDP. I thought of getting a Pro as well but I already have another laptop if I need to do any legacy work.

fonzman78

I love my Surface RT. But, I will get getting the Pro when it comes out. I need the digitizer and full Outlook version to have the perfect tablet. I'm trying to find a way to justify keeping both tablets but I'm not finding one. Sadly, I will return the RT. Maybe.

Maulwurf

I've got a notebook for serious work. The Surface RT is just perfect as it is. It's more or less a "fun" device for me, on which I surf the net, play games, etc. PLUS I do have a full Office on it. What could you want more?

In General one could say I enjoy the Surface on the couch. My Desktop work is still done on my notebook at the Desk.