What's new

Screen Protector worth it?

TheAntibyte

So is it an absolute must to get the screen protector for the surface 3? as i can deal with minor scratches that you would only notice in direct light.
If I'm not using my surface I have the keyboard cover over it which protects it, so I am just wondering if it is worth the money?
It costs $65 in Australia which is a lot to spend on a screen protector.

OP
TheAntibyte

TheAntibyte

I'm not after links to cheap ones, thank you though.
I'm more after info on if its actually worth having one?

vxm

Don't have one on my SP3, almost a year now and screen is absolutely fine. I transport it in Type Cover only, for longer trips I carry it in UAG Armor case, but that's it. It depends on personal preference and usage- I'd imagine someone carrying it everywhere and using it in various scenarios might be more inclined to use additional protection.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I forget that I have a screen protector until I read posts like this. The glass protectors fit very well and do not cause any discomfort with use of the screen. Yes, get a screen protector.
It is like automobile seat belts. They seem unnecessary - until one day ...

The protectors made of glass protect against scratches, but also distribute shock waves evenly across the screen. In case of dropping or sudden stress across the Surface screen, some cracking or shattering would be avoided. I have fumbled my Surface Pro 3 several times, and I cannot prove that the protector saved me, but I believe it has.

I have tested and like these two (both around US$40. Be sure to price shop):
- ZAGG Glass Screen Protector for Surface Pro 3 (On my device for 10 months now)
- Phantom Glass Screen Protector for Surface Pro 3

Other brands are available, too, which I have not tested.

malberttoo

I've had the Surface Pro 1 since a couple months after it's release day, and the SP3 I pre-ordered. I've never put a screen protector on either one, and never had cause to regret it. I always kept the Touch/TypeCover over the screen when not in use.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I never use screen protectors. I tried a few, and I just didn't see the point so removed them as I felt the made for an inferior touch. I've not had cracks or any scratches at all on any of 4 tablets and 2 phones. It all depends how you use your device of course. My SP3 though, it is in perfet condition because the keyboard does a perfectly fine job at keeping it safe so long as it's kept closed

OP
TheAntibyte

TheAntibyte

I'm very careful with my devices I don't treat them like they are made of china but I don't throw them around like they are indestructible.
Thanks for all the input everyone but at this point I won't worry about the screen protector but maybe I will get one in the future.

kundas1

those who say you don't need it is bad advice IMHO, both my S2 and my SP3 have screen protectors and if they didn't then I would DEF have bad scratches on the screen but the screen protector took the brunt and I am anal retentive about my gadgets and take very good care of them! with that said it's so not smart to go around with no protection on the screen and OP don't worry about the prices because I have used cheap ones and expensive ones and trust me the price isn't a factor in this matter... the cheap ones work just as good but I do prefer the glass ones which are more expensive a bit but that's only by personal choice... in the end of course its upto you but do you really want to leave such an expensive device exposed to scratches? screen protectors are so cheap nowadays to leave your device vulnerable

OP
TheAntibyte

TheAntibyte

Let me clarify something that seems to have been missed, I use a type cover on my surface 3 and the only time it comes off is if I am using Skype in bed, if I did not own a type cover then I would hesitate about a screen protector.
I now realise my question may have been worded a bit funny.

LibbyLA

I have a matte screen protector on mine because I can't stand the glare from the bare screen. It also makes the screen feel a lot more like paper when using the stylus.

kundas1

I have a type protector at all times but that hasn't stopped my screen protector from getting scratches, which is why I am thankful of having my screen protectors...