What's new

Show Virtual Keyboard Automatically

J515OP

Super Moderator
OK. I finally found an IE10 icon that opened it up in Metro mode. The virtual keyboard appears and disappears as expected. It would be really nice if there was a single icon that when clicked would change the operating mode (desktop - surface, surface - desktop).

There is. You can touch the desktop button to go to desktop from the Start screen and you can touch the Windows bezel button to go back to the Start screen. There are also other options such as the Windows key on the keyboard, multi-task swiping, Alt + tab and Win + tab to switch between the various apps and modes.

You may want to check out a couple of the threads here for navigating Windows 8 including the link in my sig and also watch some youtube videos if you need some help navigating.

OP
T

TedN

OK. I've now lost the only link I had to the Metro version of IE. I clicked Hide stupidly thinking that there would be an Unhide to bring it back. If I search for IE all I get is an icon that when clicked brings up the desktop version. Can someone show me a site that has a step by step procedure for accessing the Metro version of IE.

I'm reaching the end of my patience with Windows 8 and seriously thinking of going back to my cave and drawing on the walls.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I'm reaching the end of my patience with Windows 8 and seriously thinking of going back to my cave and drawing on the walls.

You might want to Bing/Google how to make fire first ;)

How do I make Internet Explorer my default browser?

Internet Explorer 10 is already included in Windows 8 and Windows RT. If you make a different browser your default, links will not automatically open in Internet Explorer, and you will only be able to use Internet Explorer for the desktop.

To make Internet Explorer your default browser

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap or click Search (if you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and move the mouse pointer down , and then click Search).

Enter Default programs, and then tap or click Default Programs.

Tap or click the Set your default programs.

Select Internet Explorer from the list of programs.

Tap or click Set this program as default, and then tap or click OK.

Make Internet Explorer your default browser - Microsoft Windows Help

OP
T

TedN

Thanks J,
I followed your very clear instructions, however when I go to the start screen and click the IE icon I still get the desktop version. Incidentally I never installed another browser. I'm going to forget this for now. I can live without the keyboard automatically showing. Thanks for your help.

riggi

Can someone show me a site that has a step by step procedure for accessing the Metro version of IE.

From the desktop version of IE, click on the gear in the top right corner and select "Internet options"

Go to the "Programs" tab
Untick "Open Internet Explorer tiles on the desktop"

When launch IE from the start screen, it should open the Metro version now.

You can also set the Metro or desktop version as the default for clicked links from the drop down on this tab.

Hope that helps,
Rich

machistmo

I'm getting a bit confused here. Are we saying there are two versions of IE10, the desktop version and the modern version. Or is there one version that can be run in either desktop or modern (Metro) mode. I have searched in the Apps and can find only one instance of IE10. Clicking it brings up the same IE10 which has the address bar at the top.

Yes. There are two version's of IE 10. One is Desktop and one is the Metro version. Metro Version = BAD. Desktop IE in compatibility mode will allow you to make paragraphs when porting here and post pictures. Neither of which can be accomplished in the Metro IE. Strange that the forums dedicated to the Surface would be incompatible with the flagship application on it, but that's how it is now.

machistmo

OK. I've now lost the only link I had to the Metro version of IE. I clicked Hide stupidly thinking that there would be an Unhide to bring it back. If I search for IE all I get is an icon that when clicked brings up the desktop version. Can someone show me a site that has a step by step procedure for accessing the Metro version of IE.

Tell us again about how people just don't see the genius in Windows8 design? Seriously - The above statement is echoing across all markets right now. I elect TedN for some kind of Award. Windows8 is NOT intuitive. It just is NOT. I don't have issues with it but I am in the minority. We all know that Windows was not the best OS available, its success always laid in the fact that anyone could sit down and pick it up in minutes. It WAS easy to use... WTF MS? So now we have this : Enterprise Unfriendly OS that is trying to copy an iPad / Apple OS and Business model and failing.

Enterprise Friendly - NO
User Friendly - NO
Apple rival - NO

Excellent!

Last edited:
OP
T

TedN

Eureka! Thank you riggi. Unchecking that checkbox ("Open Internet Explorer tiles on the desktop") did the trick. I now get the Metro IE. Thanks to all for your inputs.

P.S.
I can now stop Googling "How to make fire".

machistmo

Eureka! Thank you riggi. Unchecking that checkbox ("Open Internet Explorer tiles on the desktop") did the trick. I now get the Metro IE. Thanks to all for your inputs.

P.S.
I can now stop Googling "How to make fire".

Don't barbecue the Surface just yet man. Besides the poor little device didn't choose to have windows8 installed on it, someone else did that to it.