What's new

Solved Simple feature missing? Brightness control keys

ericspt

I cannot believe this is not a feature but no way to adjust screen brightness via the keyboard?

I'm on the Insider so I get Dark, Suggested, Brighter, Brightest. Where did the slider go?

DeezHoz

No worries made me happy as crap since I had just quit looking for it when I accidently tried to Fn + Backspace to Del, like on a Mac. Then I realized MS made a hard button Del. I missed PC :)

OP
E

ericspt

Awesome thank you!

Think they could at least put the symbols on there.

I was going to file this under 'really dumb decisions companies make' :)

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
SURFACE KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS

Print Screen (Screen image to Clipboard for Paste elsewhere)
Fn + SPACEBAR

Screenshot (Saved in Pictures folder)
Fn + WINDOWS KEY + SPACEBAR (in this order)

Print Current Window Only
Fn + ALT+ SPACEBAR

Screen Brightness
Fn + DEL = Screen Brightness UP
Fn + BACKSPACE = Screen Brightness DOWN

Lock or Unlock Fn
Fn + Caps Lock

Home
Fn + Arrow Left

End
Fn + Arrow Right

PgUp
Fn + Arrow Up

PgDown
Fn + Arrow Down

Screenshot (Saved in Pictures folder)
Fn + WINDOWS KEY + SPACEBAR (in this order)

Windows key + print screen button does this as well (I believe type covers don't have this key, but the SB does).

Thanks for the info on the brightness controls. That's great to find out, especially since Windows 10 doesn't have a brightness slider in the action center anymore. I don't like the increments on the toggle and don't like having to increase brightness to go back down either. Can be a bit blinding at night.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Speaking of screenshots, is there a *new* way to do this now without a keyboard attached since we no longer have a windows key to press with volume down. Maybe we need another panel on the onscreen keyboard with all the missing keys and there's plenty of dead space on the onscreen keyboard anyway where they might squeeze in a printscrn button. Even a swipe left printscrn would work. Details, details, details.

Speaking of screenshots, is there a *new* way to do this now without a keyboard attached since we no longer have a windows key to press with volume down. Maybe we need another panel on the onscreen keyboard with all the missing keys and there's plenty of dead space on the onscreen keyboard anyway where they might squeeze in a printscrn button. Even a swipe left printscrn would work. Details, details, details.
There's the "snipping tool" that lets you crop parts of the screen and also take full screenshots.