What's new

So is it officially impossible to download anything outside of the windows app store?

jadecharl24

I noticed the day I got this tablet/pc that it would not let me download anything from outside the app store! After reading and reading it seems impossible! Is this true or is there a solution to this?
Also.. The reason I bought this tablet is because it's also a pc so I was able to use it for social and study purposes but without the ability to download anything it has been useless for my studies! But I love the set out on windows, is there another tablet/pc like this that will let me download things but still let me use it like a pc? Thanks!

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

Unfortunately what you have is NOT also a PC. RT is limited to what you can get from Microsoft. It's a little more like Android than Windows.

OP
J

jadecharl24

Welcome to the forum

Unfortunately what you have is NOT also a PC. RT is limited to what you can get from Microsoft. It's a little more like Android than Windows.
Thank you for the reply!☺
That's a shame, is there a tablet out there that is more like a pc? I'm considering selling my rt! Thanks

OP
J

jadecharl24

Not sure what you mean by download anything... but if your referring to x86 programs then no you cant do that. PDFs, Office files: word, excel, PowerPoint all work.

If you're looking for something to run x86 programs... look at "Surface 3"
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Surface-Tablet-10-8-Inch-Windows/dp/B00VGNZ4PG
Thanks for the reply! I'll have a look at the surface pro 3, and by download anything I mean articles,forms and other work that is not of pdf format! Thanks

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply! I'll have a look at the surface pro 3, and by download anything I mean articles,forms and other work that is not of pdf format! Thanks
Depending on you needs and budget, you have two Surface Options. Surface 3 linked above and Surface Pro 3. Big difference in price etc.

leeshor

While your apps selection may be limited what you work with, documents, videos, music etc is not. That includes forms articles etc.

jrioux

...by download anything I mean articles,forms and other work that is not of pdf format! Thanks
I have both an RT and an SP3 and still use my RT regularly.

The RT can download just about any kind of file from a webpage. It can also download files from USB drives. You can also download files from cloud services and FTP sites. The issue is whether you can run, execute, install, open, read, manipulate, etc the files once you download them.

The RT can only run, execute or install program files, apps or applications that are downloaded from the Windows App Store! This is a major limitation, because there aren't nearly as many apps for the RT as there are for other operating systems.

The RT can open, read or manipulate most other kinds of files provided that you have a program or app for those files. The RT includes MS Office, which lets you work with Word, Excel and Powerpoint files. There are apps for reading and annotating PDF files. Others allow you to read, edit and save TXT files. You can also read e-books and comic books on the RT. You can open and modify various types of graphics files. You can also run a variety of video files.

What else do you want to do with your RT?

Given that the market value for RTs is currently in the $100 to $200 neighborhood, I can't imagine being able to do as much for the same cost.