What's new

SP3 gets hot when in connected standby

Daniel Griffith

Sorry if my post is a little off topic but I have no idea how to post a new topic.

I'm having a slight issue with my SP3
I would use it and put it to sleep, sometimes I'd manually put it to sleep, other times I'd just close the type cover. The device would enter sleep mode, the keyboard lights come off and everything. However, when I pick it up again it would be really hot and the fan would be on (that only happens when I use it for gaming really) and the surface and type cover, although they are closed would be lit up and on. The device is usually just there on the lock screen.
It's really strange that this happens because it usually isn't in a place where something can accidentally touch the power button. The worst thing of course is the fact that it stays on the power supply depletes. So If I put it into my bag after class and it's around 50% by the time I reach home (About an hour and a half away) it would be on 20-30%. Sometimes overnight it would discharge completely.
The thing is that it doesn't happen every single time I put it too sleep. It's very unpredictable and I'd really want to know if this can be remedied.

malberttoo

Sorry if my post is a little off topic but I have no idea how to post a new topic.

I'm having a slight issue with my SP3
I would use it and put it to sleep, sometimes I'd manually put it to sleep, other times I'd just close the type cover. The device would enter sleep mode, the keyboard lights come off and everything. However, when I pick it up again it would be really hot and the fan would be on (that only happens when I use it for gaming really) and the surface and type cover, although they are closed would be lit up and on. The device is usually just there on the lock screen.
It's really strange that this happens because it usually isn't in a place where something can accidentally touch the power button. The worst thing of course is the fact that it stays on the power supply depletes. So If I put it into my bag after class and it's around 50% by the time I reach home (About an hour and a half away) it would be on 20-30%. Sometimes overnight it would discharge completely.
The thing is that it doesn't happen every single time I put it too sleep. It's very unpredictable and I'd really want to know if this can be remedied.

Hi Daniel, welcome to the forum! I've moved your post to its own thread. You can create a new post by going into the sub-forum that you want (in this case, Surface Pro 3), and clicking the blue "Post New Thread" button in the upper right hand side.