What's new

Solved SP3 Pen default OneNote desktop

m04w

So I have all of my office applications updated as well as my surface updated. My Onenote desktop 2013 says it is my default OneNote app, I made sure it is the default app using my control panel and even the app Surface says that my pen top button is set to the desktop version. But whenever I press the top button, the OneNote app originally installed and originally designated to the pen STILL opens. I have tried unpairing the pen and repairing it with my surface and switching the default apps every way possible but it still only opens the simple original version and I want the desktop version.
Please help :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Download the Surface App from the Windows Store and set the Action from the Pen Button Configuration Menu.

OP
M

m04w

I did that, and it even says that desktop is the default app for the button, but the button still opens the other OneNote

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I did that, and it even says that desktop is the default app for the button, but the button still opens the other OneNote
Did you also set it in the Desktop version of OneNote 2013 under Options and Advanced?

OP
M

m04w

Did you also set it in the Desktop version of OneNote 2013 under Options and Advanced?
Yup, I have done it in the OneNote desktop version, the Surface app, and in the control panel. All say it is the default app, but when I click the pen, it opens the other OneNote.

bluegrass

I wonder what would happen if you remove the OneNote that you don't want to open.

Never mind. I uninstalled the Universal OneNote and it still wouldn't open the desktop OneNote with the top button. It of course didn't open up the universal OneNote. I see the screen darken a little for a second when double clicking the top button but it didn't open up OneNote. I'm on Windows 10 Preview though, so I wouldn't consider it a legitimate error to worry about. I'll just wait it out till the official Windows 10 is released.

I love the preview and wouldn't go back to 8.1 even if there are a few glitches. I went ahead and downloaded the preview version of OneNote and it opened immediately by clicking the top button on the pen. I'm going to go ahead and learn to use the universal version anyway since that's the future.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, I have done it in the OneNote desktop version, the Surface app, and in the control panel. All say it is the default app, but when I click the pen, it opens the other OneNote.
Are you running Windows 10 TP? If so, this is a known issue. Others have reported that installing OneNote through one of the Traditional Suite installs caused this behavior, but installing the Free Desktop Version fixed it....

OP
M

m04w

I had a surface and the pen worked properly with office 365 installed. I had it replaced with microsoft complete and installed 365 on it and now the pen won't work with the OneNote desktop version and just downloading the free desktop version does not solve it

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I had a surface and the pen worked properly with office 365 installed. I had it replaced with microsoft complete and installed 365 on it and now the pen won't work with the OneNote desktop version and just downloading the free desktop version does not solve it
OK....make sure these 2 updates are applied:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2968599/EN-US

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2881082

If not, apply them and reboot and see if the Pen works as expected....if not you may need to reset the device