What's new

SP3 vs Macbook Air - which should I buy (debate/compare but dont fight)

macmee

This is a really hot topic right now, 28 million results on Google. Microsoft says the SP3 can replace your laptop, and Apple is releasing a new Macbook Air within the year. Assuming the MacBook Air Retina comes out, here are my pros and cons:

Macbook Air:
- Retina display, i7 and 8GB of ram are the same as the SP3 (or close enough to identical)
- I prefer OS X mostly because it runs xcode and I can do iOS development
- 11+ hours of battery
- Full sturdy keyboard that I'm used to (as I have a macbook pro 2011 now)
- Chrome works well on OS X, and has low power mode

SP3:
- touchscreen & lots of touch optimized metro apps
- cool form factor (can hold it and use it like a giant gameboy)
- far better for note taking in lectures

Concerns:
- (pro SP3) Microsoft is the underdog and I feel like they'll do more cool things (like cortana) because they have to gain marketshare and prove themselves, whereas apple is less likely to do cool things with the MBA/OSX
- (pro MBA) I experienced bugs with my SP2 (sleep mode doesn't work) and I'm concerned about bugs in the SP3
- (pro MBA) Battery is huge to me and my battery cover for my SP2 wont work
- (pro SP3) The dock would be pretty sweet with external displays, Apple's cinema display/dock solution costs over $1,000
- (pro MBA) I really do prefer OSX over Windows because in my personal experience I find it less buggy

Requests for replying to the thread:
<snipped - In Violation of Forum Rules>
2. users: feel free to say you prefer Windows over OSX but don't try to convince me to like Windows more than OSX, I use both daily and you wont convince me, I'm more interested in your experiences with your SP3, if you think it's buggy, if you think the i7 is worth it over the i5, etc.
<snipped - Inflammatory>

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt

Pointless thread. If you prefer os x then get the mac. Simple. The OS is the most important factor. I don't see the benefit of os x as I find it limiting and hard ware support to be to basic. However if you need it for your usage then get it.

If you change your mind you can always boot camp the mac and install windows on it. You can't install os x on the surface (at least not legally).

OP
macmee

macmee

I would say, bottom line on this on going debate, if you want an OSX Tablet consider the ModBook Pro:

http://www.modbook.com/modbookpro/
cool idea but overly expensive.

Pointless thread. If you prefer os x then get the mac. Simple. The OS is the most important factor. I don't see the benefit of os x as I find it limiting and hard ware support to be to basic. However if you need it for your usage then get it.

If you change your mind you can always boot camp the mac and install windows on it. You can't install os x on the surface (at least not legally).

I prefer OSX but also prefer the formfactor of the SP3. The only deal breaker is iOS development for me, if I could find a good way to run OS X on the SP3 (maybe vmware) then I would probably lean moreso towards the SP3.

bkydcmpr

I think the choice is obvious for some users because you don't have other choice. I don't know MBA, but you
- must go with sp3 if you need the form factor and pen.
- it's ok to go with sp3 if you don't have heavy work load.
- you can't go with sp3 if you want to do 3d rendering or other intensive computing tasks. I'm evaluating this one for my own and wait 30 days to see if microsoft would improve it. I was planning to hook it up with oculus rift, now I don't think it would work.
For me the choice is keep the sp3 or wait for sp4. the waiting for a good tablet pc has been too long since the original origami project leaked.
If you are waiting for the next broadwell MBA release, I'd wait a little longer for sp4.

eltos_lightfoot

Although, I say that and I use my hackintosh for Xcode, but I am only developing as a matter of educating myself in mobile apps. I don't need it for work or anything.

Kif

I've engineered and supported large enterprise deployments of both OS's. I can tell you I've never found OSX to be less buggy than windows. In fact I've found quite the opposite. Since Apple hasn't really overhauled the design of MacBook Air's in a really long time it's a more mature platform albeit a little bit stale as well. But if you prefer OSX then there's your answer go with a MacBook Air and call it a day. One advantage with the MacBook Air is that you'll always be prepared to cut a cake if that need ever arises.

cdf3

They're both nice devices. If you're able to own both, then you'll benefit from what both have to offer.
If one has to decide between the two, then it'll depend on what operating system and apps that are beneficial to the user, as well as the form factor.
I have a friend that's a musician and he absolutely loves his Surface Pro 3. Not only can he jot down quick notes, but he scanned almost his entire sheet music collection and takes his SP3 with him while performing. He's able to turn the SP3 in portrait mode, place it on a music stand, while having all of his sheet music at his disposal. That can't be done with a MacBook Air, nor MacBook Pro. I've seen people do it with the iPad, but the screen is a lot smaller.

OP
macmee

macmee

Although, I say that and I use my hackintosh for Xcode, but I am only developing as a matter of educating myself in mobile apps. I don't need it for work or anything.

Do you run OSX on your surface?

I think the choice is obvious for some users because you don't have other choice. I don't know MBA, but you
- must go with sp3 if you need the form factor and pen.
- it's ok to go with sp3 if you don't have heavy work load.
- you can't go with sp3 if you want to do 3d rendering or other intensive computing tasks. I'm evaluating this one for my own and wait 30 days to see if microsoft would improve it. I was planning to hook it up with oculus rift, now I don't think it would work.
For me the choice is keep the sp3 or wait for sp4. the waiting for a good tablet pc has been too long since the original origami project leaked.
If you are waiting for the next broadwell MBA release, I'd wait a little longer for sp4.

That's another thing that makes me uncomfortable, the broadwell SP4 will be great but at the same time waiting isn't so great :p

They're both nice devices. If you're able to own both, then you'll benefit from what both have to offer.
If one has to decide between the two, then it'll depend on what operating system and apps that are beneficial to the user, as well as the form factor.
I have a friend that's a musician and he absolutely loves his Surface Pro 3. Not only can he jot down quick notes, but he scanned almost his entire sheet music collection and takes his SP3 with him while performing. He's able to turn the SP3 in portrait mode, place it on a music stand, while having all of his sheet music at his disposal. That can't be done with a MacBook Air, nor MacBook Pro. I've seen people do it with the iPad, but the screen is a lot smaller.

This really excites me, not having a touchscreen on the MBP would be a pain.

Just asking here, not flaming or arguing, but how could this even be fair or objective, when you have "If you like incredibly buggy things that do more than iPads, get a Surface." as your sig?

So I believe that in terms of iPad vs Surface, the Surface blows the iPad out of the water. At the same time though I wouldn't recommend the Surface to someone like my elderly mother, I'd probably recommend the iPad because although it does far less, it would be easier for her to use and would (hopefully) require less maintenance.

megatronium

Do you run OSX on your surface?

That's another thing that makes me uncomfortable, the broadwell SP4 will be great but at the same time waiting isn't so great :p

This really excites me, not having a touchscreen on the MBP would be a pain.

So I believe that in terms of iPad vs Surface, the Surface blows the iPad out of the water. At the same time though I wouldn't recommend the Surface to someone like my elderly mother, I'd probably recommend the iPad because although it does far less, it would be easier for her to use and would (hopefully) require less maintenance.

macmee - OSX will be running on SP3 soon. Maybe that interests you.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/292645-guide-surfacepro-1-2-osx-android-windows-multiboot/

Android is also in the guide for good measure.