What's new

Should I Buy an SP3 now?

OP
samtoohey93

samtoohey93

What spec is yours at though spinachpie? My sp2 ran hot when I got into photoshop plus Firefox tabs by 10 and office open. But that was only i5 with gb rma

fonsecaj

I know that the Core-M is supposed to be the next big thing, allowing for thinner/cooler/quieter designs, but my personal experience with the one laptop currently using it, the Yoga 3, wasn't so great.

It ran warm, which the fan running more frequently than my i7 SP3, and performance was TERRIBLE. Even just comparing normal Windows response to an i5/i7 SP3 (I had an i5 briefly) was noticeably worse.

Maybe it's just a bad impression based on the chip's first time out and later implementations will iron out the bugs, but I hope that MS makes i5/i7 versions of the SP4 for people that don't want to lose out on performance. That said, I'd go for an SP3 now because the performance/heat/fan noise are all well documented and a known quantity, while the SP4 would to be a possible gamble.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know that the Core-M is supposed to be the next big thing, allowing for thinner/cooler/quieter designs, but my personal experience with the one laptop currently using it, the Yoga 3, wasn't so great.

It ran warm, which the fan running more frequently than my i7 SP3, and performance was TERRIBLE. Even just comparing normal Windows response to an i5/i7 SP3 (I had an i5 briefly) was noticeably worse.

Maybe it's just a bad impression based on the chip's first time out and later implementations will iron out the bugs, but I hope that MS makes i5/i7 versions of the SP4 for people that don't want to lose out on performance. That said, I'd go for an SP3 now because the performance/heat/fan noise are all well documented and a known quantity, while the SP4 would to be a possible gamble.
Now that the WinRT Surface line is terminated a Core-M model will be needed to fill the role for the Pure Tablet use case deployment.

Currently Microsoft is Tabletless in Seattle. :)

dstrauss

I still think SPro4 is going to surprise folks by squeezing 13" into the current frame, and extending battery life with Broadwell (hope they use the Dell XPS 13 approach and go with ULV instead of M), and save the M, or even Cherry Trail, for an 8" companion device.

So, if you can afford to wait until Windows 10 is hatched, I'd hold out until rumors firm up. Most pundits are saying fall 2015 for Windows 10, but the latest aggressive releases, and the looming back to school crowd, make me think we'll see Windows 10 in time for al those college freshman hit campus, where Microsoft can continue the battle with MacBook Air...

zhenya

I am not too concerned on the 'newness' of a new SP4, i was hoping for a huge battery life overhaul. Like close to the new Dell XPS 13 in terms of Battery life. QUOTE]

Initial reports of the XPS13 are showing 6-9 hours of battery life, with ~7:30 being normal. Pretty much exactly the same as the SP3...

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I still think SPro4 is going to surprise folks by squeezing 13" into the current frame, and extending battery life with Broadwell (hope they use the Dell XPS 13 approach and go with ULV instead of M), and save the M, or even Cherry Trail, for an 8" companion device.

So, if you can afford to wait until Windows 10 is hatched, I'd hold out until rumors firm up. Most pundits are saying fall 2015 for Windows 10, but the latest aggressive releases, and the looming back to school crowd, make me think we'll see Windows 10 in time for al those college freshman hit campus, where Microsoft can continue the battle with MacBook Air...
To do 13" in the same size they will need handles on the back so you can hold it as the bezel would be nearly nonexistent. :)

The Core-M would take the place of the i3 with i5/i7 still being the U series.

mtalinm

To do 13" in the same size they will need handles on the back so you can hold it as the bezel would be nearly nonexistent. :)
exactly. which is why they won't do it. the form factor is set. maaaaaaaaaaybe they make it a little thinner but I sort of doubt it. mainly I'd like it to match or beat the lightness of the S2 at 1.5#

the failure of windows phone has taught msft that it can't really play in the RT/tablet-only space...there's just not enough apps for anyone to take them seriously there (I say this as one of the 3% who has a windows phone).

maybe in a few years if this universal-app thing actually takes off. feels like hype to me though

cisco ciscon

exactly. which is why they won't do it. the form factor is set. maaaaaaaaaaybe they make it a little thinner but I sort of doubt it. mainly I'd like it to match or beat the lightness of the S2 at 1.5#

the failure of windows phone has taught msft that it can't really play in the RT/tablet-only space...there's just not enough apps for anyone to take them seriously there (I say this as one of the 3% who has a windows phone).

maybe in a few years if this universal-app thing actually takes off. feels like hype to me though
i have windows phone i am somewhat happy why u b mr killjoy to me

dstrauss

The Core-M would take the place of the i3 with i5/i7 still being the U series.

Bezels are overrated! That's why we have opposable thumbs - to grip the edges!