What's new

SP3 was already on?

kroogysp3f

When I opened the box the SP3 was already on and the back top right was warm.....

It was on the page where i could enter admin password.
I clicked the top left power button and it would turn off and then the same screen would jump back.
I did that two times.

Then I did a hard reset by holding the top left power button and it closed. Then after a while i touched the top left button and it turned on and let me set my settings as if i just first opened it..

SO whats up? Why was it on?

I still need to call customer support to see what was going on... But anyone have thoughts??

malberttoo

When I opened the box the SP3 was already on and the back top right was warm.....

It was on the page where i could enter admin password.
I clicked the top left power button and it would turn off and then the same screen would jump back.
I did that two times.

Then I did a hard reset by holding the top left power button and it closed. Then after a while i touched the top left button and it turned on and let me set my settings as if i just first opened it..

SO whats up? Why was it on?

I still need to call customer support to see what was going on... But anyone have thoughts??

So the box that the SP3 came in- brand new, from the store, that's the box you're talking about? And the SP3 was already on when it took it out of the box?

Where did you buy it from?? Sounds like you got a floor model or someone else's return or something! :eek:

malberttoo

It was from Microsoft.com :(
Also all the packaging looked new.

Well that is weird for sure and the first I've heard of that. If it was ME, I would probably at least do a full restore on it, wiping the hard drive and reinstalling Windows. You can do that from within Windows 8, probably take 20 minutes or so.

OP
K

kroogysp3f

Hrm..
But After the hard reset the SP3 had those user agreements and had me do the customization thing and enter micosoft live name etc. The setup did take like 10min it was on the almost ready screen for like 7min.

Would I still need to do a hard reset?

malberttoo

Hrm..
But After the hard reset the SP3 had those user agreements and had me do the customization thing and enter micosoft live name etc. The setup did take like 10min it was on the almost ready screen for like 7min.

Would I still need to do a hard reset?

"Hard reset" usually refers to power, like pulling the plug out of the wall of a normal desktop PC, or in the case of the SP3 doing the power button + volume combo to effective kill the machine.

SO just to make sure we're talking about the same thing... as far as built-in options for reinstalling the OS, the SP3 gives you Refresh, and Reset.

So you're saying you already did a reset?

And yeah I hate that "almost ready" part, it lies, it's not anywhere close to ready and makes you watch it change background colors 100 times all the while promising you it's almost there...

OP
K

kroogysp3f

I never did a the recover > reset,etc thing in the actually recovery area.
I thought holding down the power button like for 5 sec killed the power.
I have an Ipod and thats how i do it. I dont own a lot of apple products and have an android tablet and holding the power button down on android tablet also gives me power to shut off.
I just assumed doing this on the sp3 killed it.

i did not do the volume + power.

I really should have took a picture with my phone heh.

I remember why I did the hold onto power thing. It is because my desktop, to do a hard reset, I have to hold the power down for like 5sec. So I assumed it would be the same for this win8 tablet

ctitanic

Ok, lets take a break. is it working now? If it's than leave it as it's and keep an eye opened.

OP
K

kroogysp3f

Heh.
Ya its working but opening the new device up and finding out that it had been on for who knows how long was very dis heartening :(

Ill keep an eye out for sure.

ctitanic

Heh.
Ya its working but opening the new device up and finding out that it had been on for who knows how long was very dis heartening :(

Ill keep an eye out for sure.
Agree, but keep in mind that random devices are turned on in the factory lines as part of the QA process. They should have reseted it and turned off.

drolem

There are several possibilities, but the most likely is that the PWR button get pushed somehow because of rough handling during shipping. It's not recessed, and sometimes it can be activated by accident.

Another, much less likely possibility is that it wasn't turned off properly at the end of the assembly line, but even if it was shipped by airplane, the battery couldn't possibly lasted that much, unless it went into hibernation and then got woken up during unpacking.

In any case, I wouldn't read too much into that, and don't do anything unless there is an issue.

Andycam

If you did run trough the initial setup when you received it, then I think you are fine and that something must have triggered the power button during the final stages of the delivery.