What's new

SP3 was already on?

wynand32

When I opened the box the SP3 was already on and the back top right was warm.....

It was on the page where i could enter admin password.

This part would concern me, and at least warrant a call to Microsoft to see what's up. When you fire up a new Windows 8.1 device (at least, every one I've owned), you should start out with the language/region selection, and then go through the initial setup process. Indeed, you should never get to an admin login, because prior to that you should have entered a username. Also, is there a default admin password from the factory? I'm not sure there is...

I'd hate to think that you were sold a used machine as new. Any QA process shouldn't have reset the initial startup sequence, I don't think. Really, I'm at a loss to explain this one, hence my suggestion of calling Microsoft and seeing what they think (and don't settle for first-tier support).

foghat

Heh.
Ya its working but opening the new device up and finding out that it had been on for who knows how long was very dis heartening :(

Ill keep an eye out for sure.

I wouldn't worry about it? What was the battery at? Worst case scenario it was on long enough to drain the batter down to nothing (which wasn't the case if you could power it up), which is bout 9 hours at the most. A day's use. Not a big deal.

foghat

This part would concern me, and at least warrant a call to Microsoft to see what's up. When you fire up a new Windows 8.1 device (at least, every one I've owned), you should start out with the language/region selection, and then go through the initial setup process. Indeed, you should never get to an admin login, because prior to that you should have entered a username. Also, is there a default admin password from the factory? I'm not sure there is...

I'd hate to think that you were sold a used machine as new. Any QA process shouldn't have reset the initial startup sequence, I don't think. Really, I'm at a loss to explain this one, hence my suggestion of calling Microsoft and seeing what they think (and don't settle for first-tier support).

He said he did have to go through the setup after rebooting.

uktivo

My unit was also on when received from MS. Plus, the fuse in my uk plug had been pulled out and needed to be inserting. I kept the unit, and all has been fine.

OP
K

kroogysp3f

thanks everyone. On the admin part I was able to select a password if i wanted too. I did because i thought i had to so i have a password for admin now. and after what I did was hard restart by holding it down 5 sec+ it closed and then when i opened it up again it did let me do the Language thing and user agreements and settings etc.
I will be calling Monday to ask Microsoft whats up...

OP
K

kroogysp3f

What you mean first tier support? you mean like ask for a supervisor? Oh teach me! I'm too nice!

OP
K

kroogysp3f

OK new development... restarted comp and went to dinner. when I came back from dinner this is what I see....

as of now im doing a full recover. Like that option to wipe it and rinstall w8..

any idea what that is?
Like when I hit exit setup. It would blink black then a few seconds the Surface logo would show up THEN right back to the picture page.....

BTW this is the picture that I saw the first time I opened my surface

Attachments

• spc3 photo.JPG
    spc3 photo.JPG
    673.9 KB · Views: 428
OP
K

kroogysp3f

OK didnt even get to recover.. the Temp logo popped up and the comp shut down

Wow this is getting better and better....

ScottyS

I wonder if running powercfg.exe -batteryreport would tell what it was doing the past 3 days.

My first SP3 can with battery at 90% charge, but the MS store gave me a new one because the Bluetooth part of the pen had to re-pair every time I'd go to use it (new one has same problem because it's not the hardware, but their updates). The second SP3 came with a battery at 0%. But both started up to the same complete setup-up stage asking for language and time zone etc. So I wonder if the battery drained to 0 while one in the box.

OP
K

kroogysp3f

I wonder if running powercfg.exe -batteryreport would tell what it was doing the past 3 days.

My first SP3 can with battery at 90% charge, but the MS store gave me a new one because the Bluetooth part of the pen had to re-pair every time I'd go to use it (new one has same problem because it's not the hardware, but their updates). The second SP3 came with a battery at 0%. But both started up to the same complete setup-up stage asking for language and time zone etc. So I wonder if the battery drained to 0 while one in the box.

how would I initiate this? Inside CMD?

ScottyS

Yes. From cmd prompt run powercfg.exe -batteryreport.
It saves an HTML file in Windows/System32 folder.