What's new

Stuck at 'Surface' screen can not enter recovery

Jetjager

Hi,

After updating my surface pro 3 to windows 10 it is stuck on the ’Surface’ screen. I went to Microsoft.com/surface and download my Surface recovery image.

I tried both of the images: Surface Pro 3 - Windows 8.1 and Surface Pro 3 - Windows 10 Version 1511.

I formatted a usb drive as FAT32 copied the images to the drive, plug in into the surface, but I am still stuck at the same screen after turning it on while holding the volume down key.

Does anyone have any suggestings?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
When you start up, does the Surface logo repeatedly flash or strobe, before becoming steady?

OP
J

Jetjager

When you start up, does the Surface logo repeatedly flash or strobe, before becoming steady?

Hi again,

I am unsure of the exact meaning of strobe. However, if I start the Surface with the power button the “Surface” text just appears and nothing happens. Now if I use the volume down + the power buttons the “Surface” text will first flash briefly and then appear again forever.

You seem like knowledgeable with the Microsoft Surface family. Do you think that Microsoft will be able to fix my surface at a physical Microsoft store? Please note that the product is out of the warranty.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi again,

I am unsure of the exact meaning of strobe. However, if I start the Surface with the power button the “Surface” text just appears and nothing happens. Now if I use the volume down + the power buttons the “Surface” text will first flash briefly and then appear again forever.

You seem like knowledgeable with the Microsoft Surface family. Do you think that Microsoft will be able to fix my surface at a physical Microsoft store? Please note that the product is out of the warranty.
Hold the volume rocker up - press power button while continuing to hold the volume rocker, that will put you into the UEFI Firmware Screen, don't change anything exit and reboot. If something is hung this usually clears it. If it goes back to the Surface Logo then most likely the Install is corrupted or worse case the SSD is malfunctioning. If the OS is corrupted you can download the recovery image from the Surface Support site.