What's new

Sudden multiple problems: keyboard, mouse, internet

DianeR

I was using my Surface Pro 2 without difficulty. Suddenly, my mouse didn't work, nor did the attached keyboard other than the touchpad. I can use the on-screen keyboard. Doing so, I found that I could no longer get up on the internet. The error message is: The Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-N Network (SDIO) adapter is experiencing driver- or hardware-related problems'.

I've rebooted several times without any success in solving these problems. That depletes my expertise, unfortunately. What's wrong and what do I do to solve these multiple problems?

Thanks

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Try powering down your device completely, then hold the volume rocker up and press the power button, this will put you into the UEFI screen, make no changes and exit. Let the Surface reboot and we if it works again. It that doesn't work back up your data and reset the device....

hello I had the same thing happen to me 1 week ago
mousse not work, touch pad not work
I had to reinstall everything again
I wasn't sure if it was a update that created this problem as there was a windows update occurred on machine that evening

OP
D

DianeR

Try powering down your device completely, then hold the volume rocker up and press the power button, this will put you into the UEFI screen, make no changes and exit. Let the Surface reboot and we if it works again. It that doesn't work back up your data and reset the device....

Hey ho, this worked! Thanks so much. I'd worried I'd have to spend a lot of time on the phone with someone figuring this all out.

Glad I came here. This is a great resource :)

steven, I didn't have an update tonight. I'm sorry you had to reinstall everything. Thanks for telling me about your experience in an effort to help. I'll keep my fingers crossed that both our computers stay healthy.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hey ho, this worked! Thanks so much. I'd worried I'd have to spend a lot of time on the phone with someone figuring this all out.

Glad I came here. This is a great resource :)

steven, I didn't have an update tonight. I'm sorry you had to reinstall everything. Thanks for telling me about your experience in an effort to help. I'll keep my fingers crossed that both our computers stay healthy.
Glad it fixed your issues... and welcome to our community.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The tip that I gave is the equivalent of a Hard Reset, under Windows 8.x the System Level hibernates during the boot/reboot process and occasionally the lowest level drivers crash and don't recover without the hard reset...

yeewiz

Well, did the Volume up and power trick but rebooting still results in that Marvell error. I really don't want to do a system reset because I'm thinking what's that going to do to prevent this from repeating a few months from now. Any current developments on the root cause of this error? I'm still in my warranty period so I still have time to do something

yeewiz

UPDATE AND RESOLUTION: Finally got this resolved. Took the SP2 down to a MS Store and got a fix which was pretty simple. I'll post the fix here which I have not seen before and maybe this will save someone the problem of doing a full system reinstall.

So,
1) if you completely lose wifi and your Bluetooth mouse, and the trouble shooter says "The Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-N Network (SDIO) adapter is experiencing driver- or hardware-related problems," and
2) you've gone to Device Manager and clicked Uninstall the Marvell AVASTAR Network Controller and restarted, and
3) you've done the power down, and pressed volume up and power button to restart as suggested by jnjroach, and
4) you still don't have wifi and you still have the Marvell error, then
5) go to Device manager and the Marvell Network Controller, and click Roll Back Driver. You'll see 3 drivers listed. I'm not sure the top line is the current driver or there are 3 prior versions of the driver. In any case, the MS Tech went through the top one, then the bottom one, and finally the middle one which is the one that did work.

Interesting side discussion with the tech. If his fix did not work and he couldn't get my wifi back, he was prepared to swap my SP2 on the spot. But because I had the 512 model, the swap would have to be done online. BTW, I did ask whether they would swap for a SP3. the answer was not a chance.

Anyway, hope this helps! Man, it's nice to be back in business.