What's new

Surface 2 didn't want to turn on today

gwinegarden

I got a bit of a scare, this morning. I had plugged my S2 in and put it to sleep (hit the power button), last night. When I picked it up, and hit the button, this morning, nothing happened! Hit it again, nothing. Held the button down for several seconds, still nothing. Thought I was in big trouble but tried another longer press. Suddenly, it booted.

Hoping this was a one-off.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
This occasionally happens across all Surface Devices (sometimes referred as "Sleep of Death"), typically it is caused something that hung when going into Connected Standby or in the case of the Pro Models going into Sleep. The quickest fix is to hold the power button down for 20-30 seconds, then hold volume rocker down and press the power button let go...and it should boot back up.

Dahnark

This occasionally happens across all Surface Devices (sometimes referred as "Sleep of Death"), typically it is caused something that hung when going into Connected Standby or in the case of the Pro Models going into Sleep. The quickest fix is to hold the power button down for 20-30 seconds, then hold volume rocker down and press the power button let go...and it should boot back up.

Any way that solve this for press only one time power? I have to use this "trick" some times...

I don't understand why don't have the same way to unlock like any tablet with Android or iOS, having sleep or hibernate mode on.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
My understanding it a S0iX bug in the Firmware, it seems they fix it but another issue arises in the fix and then the S0iX bug is re-introduced. It happens occasionally across all ARM Devices, my Samsung Phones used to do it and my Nokia L900 and L920 both did it as well...

JohnFerguson

thanks for this info my sons xmas gift did not want to turn on tonight but worked with an extended press of the power button.

ChemCat

Just know that this happens to all devices. I've seen this behavior in iPads, android tablets, and everything else.

NGC

I used to use the hold down the power button trick but now that doesn't work. I need to use a Bitlocker password but sometimes that doesn't work and holding power button and volume down together is the only solution.

Shariyal77

All these tinny details are made with lot of backgound knowledge.Thanks so much with this fantastic new web site. I'm very fired up to show it to anyone. It makes me so satisfied your vast understanding and wisdom have a new channel on the world.

saloei

I've also had this problem. I found the monitor will eventually turn on after 30 seconds or more. The computer isn't rebooting when I'm waiting for it to wake up.