What's new

Surface 3 Charging

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just received the cable below (PortaPow fast Charge) and used it with the OEM MS block charger and initial observations it seems to charge much fast with both the MS block charger in the wall and my Anker Battery pack, for example, I had my battery pack fully charged with the PortaPow cable in and it immediately told it was "Plugged in, Charging" PLUS battery went up around 10% in roughly 20 minutes...and that was me using it at the same time. Last observation, the MS charger block/USB connection got a little hot when charging, not sure if fast charging could potentially damage the battery? Anyway these are just my first findings.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0088HTYUE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
Get batterybar and let us know the charging rate. Its free.

Zippy0n

According to BatteryBar...

From an OEM MS Block charger with the PortaPow charge cable it ranges from 2,200 mW to 3000 mW, mostly at the bottom end though (2,200 ish)

At the time of writing my Anker is almost dead and doesnt seem to want to tell me the charge rate

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
According to BatteryBar...

From an OEM MS Block charger with the PortaPow charge cable it ranges from 2,200 mW to 3000 mW, mostly at the bottom end though (2,200 ish)

At the time of writing my Anker is almost dead and doesnt seem to want to tell me the charge rate
something over 10,000 mw would be worth writing home about, otherwise nothing special.

Zippy0n

Whoops I thought I was on to a winner here ;). I'm not the most technical here on the forum but I thought that sounded good

arcfuse3

Hi, I ordered the Aukey PB-N28 12000mAh based on the feedback that InspectHerGadget gave to my original post. I will report back how well it works when it arrives and I get a chance to test it out.

I did however borrow my friend's Kmashi MP816 (10000 mAh/37Wh) to try out in the meantime. I used the battery pack with the original S3 micro-USB charging cable connected to its 2.1 A port. Here's what I found for a few use cases:
  • Recharging the S3 from dead battery indicator/unable to power on: the battery pack recharged the S3 to 89% (25Wh) before completely dying. This took just over 9 hrs.
  • Moderate usage/Streaming a Movie via Plex using IE: BatteryBar reported a 3000 mW/0.6 A charging rate.
  • Light usage/OneNote note taking (brightness at 30%): BatteryBar reported a 5200 mW/1.04 A charging rate and the S3 battery went from 4% to 59% over 4.5 hrs before the battery pack completely died.
Pros:
  • Its price is very cheap here in the US (recently was on sale for $9 from Amazon).
  • It charges the S3 battery even when the tablet is being used for light to moderate activities.
  • Great for emergency use when you may have forgotten to charge the tablet the night before.
Cons:
  • Uses cheap, heavy Chinese cells (the overall weight of the pack is higher than others that have same rated capacity, but use higher quality cells)
  • Does not deliver the advertised capacity (only 6758mAH or 68% based on my test)
  • Questionable longevity (the S3 is definitely a device that will be extremely tough any battery packs, requiring them to perform full discharge/recharge cycles if used on a regular basis)
  • Very slow charging rate
Overall, I was still impressed with the performance of this battery pack, if only because it was able to charge the S3 while the tablet was being used. This seems to be the biggest issue with lower quality/cheap packs.

stammie

A reasonably cheap alternative I've found is this one:-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyAcc-100...e=UTF8&qid=1435168894&sr=8-1&keywords=easyacc

I was given this as a Christmas present and apart from trying it out a couple of times when I got it haven't really used it,
reading this thread I thought I'd try it out with my Surface 3.
Initially I thought it wasn't up to the job but after trying several USB cables I found it works pretty well,
strangely the cable that came with the Surface doesn't work for more than 15 minutes without getting the message "plugged in, not charging" but the one that came with my Moto G phone works flawlessly.

Connected to the 2.1 amp connector on the charger my Surface maintains charge whilst in use and very very slowly goes up by a percent or two,
used this way I'd hazard that it extends battery life by 5-6 hours before it dies.

Charging overnight from 20% battery left and with the Surface turned off I had 91% the next morning but the charger was dead as a dodo lol.

As an aside is it just my Surface 3 or are they very temperamental about what micro USB cable you use and for what its being used for?
Apart from the above example with the different cables for charging from my battery pack I set up USB tethering from my phone to my Surface exactly as it was on my old Bay Trail tablet and was tearing my hair out as to why it didn't work until I found the exact cable that it did work on (about the 4th one I tried) which wouldn't work for this charging experiment!

Clintro

Based on feed back from Zippy I ordered the Anker 2nd Gen Astro E5 16000mAh and will report back next week.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N2T7U90?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I charged the S3 from 35% yesterday and it only used about 25% of the battery pack using the Micro USB cable that came with the battery pack. it was the first time so maybe it is a calibration issue. I believe it took about 3 hours. Not too bad. I will update as I have a chance. I usually charge overnight dont just run it down..LOL

Clintro

I agree with an earlier poster, maybe in this thread and maybe not, that I wish we had the magnetic charger with an optional Micro USB for emergencies. The best of both worlds.

malberttoo

USB-C with some kind of cool magnetic break-away thing would be the sweet spot... :D Have no idea how it would be done though...

stammie

I've done a bit more testing with the charger I mentioned in my previous post and found at times it would throw up the "plugged in not charging" message,
however I think I've found a workaround that may work for others,
if I connect the charger to my Surface 3 when the Surface is powered down then wait a couple of minutes to turn it on the charger will stay connected and provide power until its battery is depleted.