What's new

Surface 3 Charging

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well that might not work out as a charge only cable would not have data pins so there would be no intelligent communication. I really don't know what that would do, give it a try and lets us know.

Note: (old electronics joke) electronics work on the smoke principal, once they lose their smoke they stop working.

lookingforward

I can confirm that the EZO Power 10-foot USB cable works with the Surface 3 and the OEM AC adapter. The charging rate appears to be almost as fast as the OEM cable (some of the time). I have seen the rate peak in the high 5,000s mW using the EZO cable versus the mid to high 6,000s mW with the OEM cable, according to readings reported by BatteryBar Pro. The readings do fluctuate and also dip down to the high 3,000 to low 4,000 mW. But most importantly, I never encounter the "plugged in, not charging" state. So while the OEM cable is superior, it is nice to be able to charge the device without being tied to such close proximity of an outlet.

http://www.amazon.com/EZOPower-Micr...95&sr=8-2&keywords=ezopower+10+foot+micro+usb

arcfuse3

Hi, I'm looking into getting a battery pack that I can use with my Surface 3. It would be great if it would charge the Surface while using it for light duty work (i.e. note-taking, web browsin, etc.). Does anyone have any experience with the Aukey PB-N28 12000mAh Portable Power Bank?

From a quality and longevity standpoint, it seems to have a good LG LiPol battery and comes with a 18-mth warranty. It also claims fast charging and a max output of 3.4A.

InspectHerGadget

Hi, I'm looking into getting a battery pack that I can use with my Surface 3. It would be great if it would charge the Surface while using it for light duty work (i.e. note-taking, web browsin, etc.). Does anyone have any experience with the Aukey PB-N28 12000mAh Portable Power Bank?

From a quality and longevity standpoint, it seems to have a good LG LiPol battery and comes with a 18-mth warranty. It also claims fast charging and a max output of 3.4A.
It sounds good to me. The important thing is the batteries inside them and Aukey look like a reputable company. A lot of these packs are made by Chinese companies who use crap batteries inside them. Good quality rechargeables are not cheap. Many companies also misrepresent the capacity of their batteries and their packs. If you get an impossibly cheap battery pack for $20 off ebay then I think you will regret it. They most likely will punch much beneath their claimed specs, the most common issue.

Zippy0n

yeah the battery pack was fully charged, would of thought it would of charged the surface full, but looks like it was only around 90%

mtalinm

gotta say the microusb charger is growing on me.

today I set up the S3 to teach a class and then noticed someone's charge cable dangling out, so I stuck it in the S3. % didn't go up but probably helped it dip less than it would've otherwise.

Zippy0n

Just received the cable below (PortaPow fast Charge) and used it with the OEM MS block charger and initial observations it seems to charge much fast with both the MS block charger in the wall and my Anker Battery pack, for example, I had my battery pack fully charged with the PortaPow cable in and it immediately told it was "Plugged in, Charging" PLUS battery went up around 10% in roughly 20 minutes...and that was me using it at the same time. Last observation, the MS charger block/USB connection got a little hot when charging, not sure if fast charging could potentially damage the battery? Anyway these are just my first findings.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0088HTYUE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00