What's new

Surface 3 in 2017

Metk97

Hi everyone! Yesterday i was searching some interesting offer on internet, and i eventually found a used surface 3 with the Microsoft pen included and with still 6 months of warranty for 350€ . Do you think it's worth for that price? (I'll need it for take note during lectures).

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome Metk97

I think that realistically, only you can decide if it is worth it for that price. It doesn't seem an overly competitive price though, a quick look on ebay gives me many results in that kind of price range. I'd also advise you to consider the cost of a keyboard though, both for protection, and because it gives the device a lot more capabilities.

Nothing wrong with the S3 though. It's not the fastest in the world, but does its intended job well enough. I'm typing this on my own S3, with a 34" ultrawide monitor plugged in as a second display for reference materials and onenote. I do all of my note taking on my SP4 or partners Sp3 though, just a nicer experience overall. I've used my S3 in lectures occasionally, but I don't like how small it is for when I've a break between lectures and want to do some work on an assignment. The pro lines keyboards are far nicer for typing on.

OP
M

Metk97

Hi, thank you for your help!
Yes, if i search worldwide i also manage to find more competitive prices, but for warranty reasons i'm searching it in italy.
I don't think i'll need the keyboard because I already have a laptop, i'll need the surface only for take note with the pen during lectures(so, i need that it will work flawlessly with onenote).

Plantje

Fairly happy Surface 3 user here as well. For me there are two down sides:
  • The LTE doesn't stay connected. Trying to stay online while on the move results in the need to restart the tablet every once in a while
  • Possible display issues: Surface 3 one year later display problem
To me this means I have lost faith in an otherwise really good device!

Joseph_Wade

Guess you need to choose between price and performance. If you are considering the price, then go with it, but i really suggest you to buy Pro 4 since the performance is better and Pro 3 is quite old for now.

Turbo4AWD

Guess you need to choose between price and performance. If you are considering the price, then go with it, but i really suggest you to buy Pro 4 since the performance is better and Pro 3 is quite old for now.

Issue with that is the Surface Pro 4 is going to cost about as much as the newly announced Surface Pro. The new Surface Pro has 13 hours battery life and that alone is worth paying the extra $$ for even if you can get the pen and keyboard included in the Pro 4 IMO

Plantje

Yes, definitely agree: if you are about to spend some serious money I would go for the new Surface Pro.
On the other hand I spent a lot less and am still satisfied with a Surface 3. (As long as the screen holds)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is my perspective.

I have just finished university. For the duration I've had a surface 3 and a surface pro 3/4. I ALWAYS used the pro. Just nicer in every respect and comfortably allowed !e to do serious typing of assignments between lectures, meaning no need for an additional laptop, or even computer at home.

I have a "friend" at uni who also bought a surface 3 with the book shop bursary we got, he then bought a laptop because the surface 3 is just not very nice for a lot of typing. Save the extra and buy the one device to do it all,instead of just 2 compromised devices

kristalsoldier

...and here is mine - perspective I mean...

I have a SP4, which is my main computing device and I use it 95% of the time as a laptop. At my table, it is connected via the Surface dock to two external monitors (sometimes 1), two external HDDs.

But I also have a S3 (not the Pro). I've had it since the month it was first released in the UK except for a week - last week in fact - when it slipped, fell and the screen cracked... but I replaced it with a (luckily) new S3.

I don't have the S3 KB - never did. I use the Stylus that came with the SP4 with the S3. And, the S3 is my primary tablet and digital notebook. In short, I use it as a pure tablet. I have to read a lot of documents and annotate them and the S3 is amazingly effective for me. It has also made me mobile where my work is concerned.

So, sometimes I find myself at some place (say a cafe). I have the Sp4 on which I would be typing; the S3 which I would be using to refer to locally saved and online materials; both tethered to (till recently a 950XL) my phone (Moto Z Play), on which I deal with messages, and a few low key social media services. OneNote, One Drive Outlook.com and Office 365 ties in everything relatively well.

So, 2017, S3? Well, I would say yes. My reasoning is that (1) With WoA coming up later, it is very likely MS will have to release a Surface device. This is unlikely to be the mythical Surface phone. More likely, it will be a Surface - fanless. Much will depend on the screen size. Anything more than the S3 (10.6 inches, isn't it?) would make it too unwieldy.

If this happens - IF!! - then earliest would be Fall this year. In the interim, the Galaxy Tab 10.6 and the iPad Pro are too expensive for me. The S3 - in 2017 - works much better...for me.