What's new

Surface 3 (Non Pro) expectations, and hopes

millertime_1985

Since we are getting to 'that' time of year again... assuming Microsoft announce a new non Pro Surface tablet, what are you hoping for, and what are you expecting.

I'm hoping it will stay in a similar price range, and that MS haven't given up on there being an RT tablet

Expecting... new processor, and maybe a new paintjob

dniezby

From all the things I hear, there will only be the pro versions from now on.

To the best of my knowledge, the RT version was because of Windows Phones but now they're able to put 8.x on phones. I'm assuming the ONLY new changes coming up might be WOS 9 for both Surfaces and phones.

Not speaking from knowledge, just from hearsay around the web. It makes logical sense though.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rumors of a Tegra K1 based Surface with graphics performance better than any existing mainstream tablet. Thinner and lighter with inclusion of a pen and Touch Office. The device could be as good or better than any pure Tablet on the market. For similar hardware see Galaxy Tab S 10.5 but with a pen and better graphics performance.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Don't expect an ARM based Surface until around the same time as the SP4 next Spring, they need the new unified Phone/RT SKU and Office Gemini so that they can offer a full MUI Tablet.

It is also a possibility that the new ARM Tablet may be a Lumia branded tablet.

wynand32

Don't expect an ARM based Surface until around the same time as the SP4 next Spring, they need the new unified Phone/RT SKU and Office Gemini so that they can offer a full MUI Tablet.

I hope they don't switch to Lumia branding for tablets. In fact, I'd rather see them switch to Surface branding (and look/feel) for smartphones. A unified hardware platform would make for some nice synergy with the unified OS.

malberttoo

To me this is an excellent idea. Even if it's not Lumia, something besides "Surface". I just don't think the average consumer could "get" the differences between and Intel-based and Arm-based (or whatever is the proper way to make that distinction), I think it's a terrible idea to name the RT version "Surface".

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Waiting till Spring to introduce a Tegra K1 tablet would be to miss the biggest market opportunity they have had. Simply the most epically inept move ever, heads should roll and it should be very public.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Waiting till Spring to introduce a Tegra K1 tablet would be to miss the biggest market opportunity they have had. Simply the most epically inept move ever, heads should roll and it should be very public.
Its not just hardware, they need the software to be ready. RT was to advanced for the mobile tablet market and not backwards compatible for the Windows Tablet Market. We are seeing the transition already, Windows Phone 8.1.1 allows for screens up to 7" with a 1280x800 Resolution which fits nicely in the SST Space.

My guess is they will end up using Qualcomm Snapdragon SoC with on die 4G....

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess we shouldn't be surprised. The entire life of Windows Phone has been epically mismanaged and now its going to be extended to Surface. No matter how many times you reread those PowerPoint slides they are still wrong.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member

Too closely aligning hardware and software releases will lead to instability issues such as with the SP line... so far it seems the ARM Surfaces have been much less temperamental. If they updated the hardware now they have a full 6 months to nail the Software. Id hate to see the same issues on the non-Pro Surfaces as the Pro's have. New hardware, new Firmware, new OS build, New Drivers ... not saying you cant do it... just not the way MS runs a project... ok, yes I'm saying you cant do it.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Microsoft can't release (or at least Satya Nadella doesn't think they should) until the can deliver a full MUI Experience and it needs to offer something that the ATOM based Tablets are not....

This means Threshold and Gemini need to be complete....interestingly enough this same SKU may be used on ATOM SST as well....