What's new

Surface 3 one year later display problem

Plantje

First of all: thanks for replying!

Mine is without lte. Even after the fourth replacement, the pixel problem came back after 2-3months. I am tired from exchanging, installing programs again and again. :{. Sigh @microsoft. And they dont offer a refund.
Hmmm...too bad! I thought @Gerke had a really good idea! But it seems we haven't found the source of the problem yet.

I assumed that this issue should affect all surface 3 atom devices just that some people are too blind to see them.
That may very well be the case. Perhaps not all users though. I think that users that had their device replaced because of this issue and don't see the issue now really don't have the issue......yet.

my replacement device does not the the problem. I never had an lte chip either. I still use mine daily and no issue here
Ok, thanks for testing and confirming yours doesn't have it.

Don't have the issue yet, but I am also nowhere near my first year yet. I have like 5 months till my 1st year with the device. I do see some weird spots at startup, but they aren't bleeding through either. Also, I can't duplicate the issue after windows has started up.
I had my first one for about 5-6 months. The second one I noticed the issue sooner and had it replaced after a while. On my third device I almost immediately noticed the issue. But it is not that bad yet...so, I guess I'll wait for a while before returning it again. I hope I don't have to go through reinstalling, resetting etc the device again.

To replicate problem,
1)set display brightness to 100%
2)set display to solid black background
3)look for odd pixels eg. Pixel not black, -blue green red or white.
That is the way to reproduce the issue.

I am worried when I get close to one year. My first one started showing the problem at 11 months and MS replaced it under warranty. Now the warranty is over. I am hoping the problem does not come back
I think you can only hope it doesn't get that bad that it is really showing up during normal use.

Just to be sure I have made notes of the serial numbers and screen shots of the Microsoft account page. Just to be able to check they don't send me one of my own old devices as a refurbished replacement device.

TPadden

I assumed that this issue should affect all surface 3 atom devices just that some people are too blind to see them.
It isn't an issue if it doesn't effect my use - why would I go looking for problems when I've happily used my Surface 3 daily for 18 months (purchased 5/15). I'll keep it until I have a critical issue with it ........ or I become bored and upgrade.

Turbo4AWD

It isn't an issue if it doesn't effect my use - why would I go looking for problems when I've happily used my Surface 3 daily for 18 months (purchased 5/15). I'll keep it until I have a critical issue with it ........ or I become bored and upgrade.

I have a similar sentiment to part of this. I'm thinking that soon I will be getting a Surface Pro 4 and probably will not be concerned about this issue anymore. I'm finding that a little more power is needed than what the Surface 3 can offer. MAYBE the Surface 4 will be able to do this, but at the moment, the power of the Surface Pro 4 seems to have more of what I need. Especially since you can get a used Pro 4 at decent prices now, but we will see. Time will tell once we hear more from Microsoft about another Surface (non-Pro) tablet. Otherwise, I won't have the Surface 3 long enough to be worried about the screen going out.

TPadden

I have a similar sentiment to part of this. I'm thinking that soon I will be getting a Surface Pro 4 and probably will not be concerned about this issue anymore.....
I've put a Surface Pro 4 in my shopping cart at least a half dozen times; problem is my Surface 3 is a road warrior. Every time I think about hauling around a power brick, having to look for an outlet, and not being able to use the same portable battery I use to boost my phone I cancel the purchase.

Plantje

Same here. I am typing this while in the car (not driving). I had a conference call, was able to log into the client's systems and be up to date. Now, type this and move on again. I think a SP 4 is just too large

SuperMan

i think what caused the problem is pressure to the screen. i always have a glass protector for all surface 3 replacements, only for the first one. Hence the first one took longer to develop this problem. (touching the screen, putting in fitting bag, will still give pressure, so i guess this problem will develop over time.).

Why microsoft, it have to be you. Just when i thought i got a better device than Ipad Pro. ....

Turbo4AWD

I've put a Surface Pro 4 in my shopping cart at least a half dozen times; problem is my Surface 3 is a road warrior. Every time I think about hauling around a power brick, having to look for an outlet, and not being able to use the same portable battery I use to boost my phone I cancel the purchase.

Doesn't the portable battery have to be like 9000mah to even start charging a Surface 3 battery? If so, then that's almost the same as carrying the Surface Pro 4 power brick. If you combine the minibrick from the Surface 3 and a super high Mah battery.....I mean, at that high of mah you could probably charge the Surface Pro 4 to an extent.

Plantje

i think what caused the problem is pressure to the screen. i always have a glass protector for all surface 3 replacements, only for the first one. Hence the first one took longer to develop this problem. (touching the screen, putting in fitting bag, will still give pressure, so i guess this problem will develop over time.).

Why microsoft, it have to be you. Just when i thought i got a better device than Ipad Pro. ....
I see that different. I handle all my devices with care, I don't put any pressure on the screen. When put in the bag it is always protected by the TypeCover.
Next to that I don't think any SP3 or SP4 user has ever seen a similar thing.

What I do agree with is that it is a shame this is happening to Microsoft. In a lot of cases the Surface 3 is way better than an iPad Pro and I still love using it, but this is a major downside!

Turbo4AWD

I see that different. I handle all my devices with care, I don't put any pressure on the screen. When put in the bag it is always protected by the TypeCover.
Next to that I don't think any SP3 or SP4 user has ever seen a similar thing.

What I do agree with is that it is a shame this is happening to Microsoft. In a lot of cases the Surface 3 is way better than an iPad Pro and I still love using it, but this is a major downside!

I can see what you mean about the battery life. Ever since the Anniversary Update, performance AND battery life improved greatly and I was impressed with both, however I am not sure I am as mobile that the battery life of a Surface Pro 4 would hinder my usage. I suppose more use of my Surface 3 will help determine that in the coming weeks as I make final preparations for possibly selling off my Surface 3 and purchasing a Surface Pro 4 + Pen + Type Cover.

Plantje

I really love the fact that my Surface 3 has a built in LTE. And in next tablets I am really looking for a built in LTE.

TPadden

Doesn't the portable battery have to be like 9000mah to even start charging a Surface 3 battery? If so, then that's almost the same as carrying the Surface Pro 4 power brick. If you combine the minibrick from the Surface 3 and a super high Mah battery.....I mean, at that high of mah you could probably charge the Surface Pro 4 to an extent.
Sorry about both the thread creep and the late response, nope it runs fine off my small Anker 5200mah. I usually carry a larger Anker 16,000 mah camping though.

But you are missing my point completely - a true road warrior computer obviously has different use/ requirements for me than for you. Carrying the Surface Pro 4 Brick is as worthless as carrying any brick if you aren't near anything to plug it into. Also I often leave the battery charging unattended on the road; in campgrounds, restrooms, etc. without worrying about loss or theft. I'd only lose a battery and USB charger (no one has ever taken it though), not a COMPUTER and brick. I'd never leave my computer unattended on the road.

Tom

Last edited:

Plantje

And tablet number 4 for this year is on its way to me. Good service...pity that it is needed though!