What's new

Surface Book Dead

lmckeor

My surface book, which has worked great since I got it the day it was released back in Oct 2015 has died.

I was using it on the plane, and both batteries basically went to 0%.

I closed the screen and put it into my bag. When I got to my hotel I plugged it in, and left it there until the next day.

Then when I went to start it, Nothing, dead nadda! Even after the 2-Button reset procedure over & over. Zero.

The only thing that happens is the red detach button will light up briefly after 30 seconds of holding the buttons.

I can't detach the screen, I have to use the paperclip in the side method. I did that, charged it directly, still nadda!!

Any idea? If I do a replacement MSFT wants $600 and I assume I will lose my data. The data would be nice to get back.

I thought perhaps the batteries have gone into some locked mode as the voltage was too low.

Any ideas? Next step is have the battery replaced.

I even tried the freezer trick, still nothing

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear about this, @lmckeor

It seems you have tried just about all of the things to bring your Surface Book back to life, if possible.

1. If you have been using Onedrive, you may not lose any files.
2. Check that your charger is okay, and that the blade connector male and female (receiver) is clean and free of debris. If so ...
3. Try this: In quick succession, multiple times, plug and unplug the power blade. The idea is to give the charging circuit a slight charge a little bit at a time, which may fix some kind of loop in the wakeup or charging circuit hardware or software. You may try this several hundred times or until the PC acts differently.

Let us know.

OP
L

lmckeor

I tried a 2nd charger, as work gave me a Surface Pro 4 as a loaner.

Yes, some files are on one drive. Most things I do are on Box/SFDC so it's mostly personal stuff on the HD I did not back up for a month or 2.

Do you think putting in a new battery would be worthwhile?

K./

Sorry to hear about this, @lmckeor

It seems you have tried just about all of the things to bring your Surface Book back to life, if possible.

1. If you have been using Onedrive, you may not lose any files.
2. Check that your charger is okay, and that the blade connector male and female (receiver) is clean and free of debris. If so ...
3. Try this: In quick succession, multiple times, plug and unplug the power blade. The idea is to give the charging circuit a slight charge a little bit at a time, which may fix some kind of loop in the wakeup or charging circuit hardware or software. You may try this several hundred times or until the PC acts differently.

Let us know.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I do not know much about replacing the battery in the Surface Book, especially by the user.