What's new

Surface dock without keyboard

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Yes - I do not have a picture, but the dock connector extends 0.6 inches (1.5 cm) below the clipboard, requiring the dock connector to just barely touch the tabletop, if you want the dock connector at the bottom. You can instead dock it from the top, which I actually prefer, since it stays within easy access to me without picking up the clipboard.

Nevertheless, I put four tiny square tapered rubber stick-on feet on its base, available at the hardware store, which elevated it just right. The feet also keep the stand from marring my tabletop or scratching the glass dining room table, but also keep the stand from skidding away, including the tray table on an aircraft.

Last edited:

JBCF

I use the Compass for my travel monitor (nicely portable) and naturally tried it out with the Surface Book clipboard. Compass holds the clipboard fine in landscape but portrait is not recommended, very 'tippy' and unstable. Also, too unstable to use touch properly in portrait or landscape, you need two hands - one to touch and one to stabilize. Bottom line: if you don't need to do anything more than viewing in landscape with a touch gesture now and then it's ok but if you really want to get hands on with the clipboard or use it in portrait mode it's far too unstable.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Though this thread is with regard to "Surface dock without keyboard"...

Don't forget that the screen can be detached, turned backwards, then re-attached, making the keyboard act as a stand, and reducing the footprint of the overall device.

Nuspieds

Yes - I do not have a picture, but the dock connector extends 0.6 inches (1.5 cm) below the clipboard, requiring the dock connector to just barely touch the tabletop, if you want the dock connector at the bottom. You can instead dock it from the top, which I actually prefer, since it stays within easy access to me without picking up the clipboard.

Nevertheless, I put four tiny square tapered rubber stick-on feet on its base, available at the hardware store, which elevated it just right. The feet also keep the stand from marring my tabletop or scratching the glass dining room table, but also keep the stand from skidding away, including the tray table on an aircraft.
Ok, thanks for the tip.

alanbrad

My Surface Book and Dock has not shipped yet (Australia) but I am wondering if the SB will successfully connect to the dock without the keyboard attached? I ride my bicycle to work and it would be nice to travel light and leave the keyboard at home where I use it most. At work I have 2 x 27" screens and proper keyboard etc ready to dock. I understand I will lose the GPU but that's OK.

Alternatively it would be great if I could buy a 2nd keyboard unit.
Yes, you can connect the dock to the screen without the keyboard and it will function fine.