What's new

Surface Pro 4 - Intel Core M

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
http://anandtech.com/show/8673/more-intel-core-m-coming-q4

My guess is if SP4 does come with "m" this new top tier version will be it.

I for one will not upgrade my SP3 for a 'm'. But maybe others?
I agree they would use the best part available however if SP4 comes in May/June there may be yet another Intel speed bump before then. Lets call it an 5Y81 or 91. 1400 or 1600 base frequency, 400 base graphics frequency, 6mb L3 cache. This chip would best an i5 4300U performance by a low double digit percentage (10-15) while cutting the power consumption in half and have virtually no throttling with up to 30% better battery life.

Yeah, Id buy that.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If they continue with the U Series heat will continue to be a problem and airflow should be increased somehow or use Pizeo cooling http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/12/ge-dual-piezo-jets/ or Thermoelectric cooling.
Maybe move the button to the side and place a heat dissipation/cooling system along the top edge and or ribs on the back. It needs comfortably dissipate an additional 10w of heat more than the current method. Combine Pizeo and Thermoelectric and spread heat across the back. Pizeo cooling could be used to direct airflow across the back which could pull more heat from the CPU area.

Heat is the number one limiting factor, I don't want to overstate it but with greater active cooling you could push the CPU instead of throttling it. That's were untapped potential lies.

Last edited:

kwright

Ideally I could activate the Surface with the on board hardware. Now I have the option of connecting a rfIdeas port to the dock. Greatly appreciate your insight on this.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Ideally I could activate the Surface with the on board hardware. Now I have the option of connecting a rfIdeas port to the dock. Greatly appreciate your insight on this.
As long as the reader has a USB or Bluetooth interface you will be able to use it...there isn't an onboard card reader if that is what you are looking for, outside of Virtual Smartcard stored in the TPM.