What's new

Surface Pro USB 3 backwards compatible to USB 2 devices with adapter?

stephaniedlsl

Hello: I am a trainer and the #1 reason I am considering the Surface Pro is the ability to use a tablet, rather than my hefty Thinkpad W510. Much of my material is done using Powerpoint and I have a remote which allows me to walk around the room and just click to advance the slide.

What do you think? Will there be (or is there already) a backwards compatible USB 3 to USB 2 adapter and would it work on the surface pro? For anyone from Microsoft on here -- this would be an essential requirement for professional users who might consider the tablet as a replacement for bulky laptops.

By the way -- I know there is a adapter for USB 2 TO USB 3. I am wondering about the reverse.

Thank you all for helping me solve this question.

Stephanie

dbageek

Hello: I am a trainer and the #1 reason I am considering the Surface Pro is the ability to use a tablet, rather than my hefty Thinkpad W510. Much of my material is done using Powerpoint and I have a remote which allows me to walk around the room and just click to advance the slide.

What do you think? Will there be (or is there already) a backwards compatible USB 3 to USB 2 adapter and would it work on the surface pro? For anyone from Microsoft on here -- this would be an essential requirement for professional users who might consider the tablet as a replacement for bulky laptops.

By the way -- I know there is a adapter for USB 2 TO USB 3. I am wondering about the reverse.

Thank you all for helping me solve this question.

Stephanie

Not quite sure why you think you need an adapter as USB 3.0 ports are backward compatible USB 2.0 devices ... just like 2.0 was backward compatible with 1.0 devices. I have a W510 as well and i can plug any USB 2.0 device into the USB 3.0 ports.

Am i missing something?

OP
S

stephaniedlsl

Humm -- are you sure? I believe the specs I have seen for the Surface Pro show a USB 3.0.

All of the good Powerpoint remotes are USB 2.0

So there must be an adapter.

The question is whether a USB 2 device operating through an adapter will work on the Surface Pro.

Thank you

J515OP

Super Moderator
Not quite sure why you think you need an adapter as USB 3.0 ports are backward compatible USB 2.0 devices ... just like 2.0 was backward compatible with 1.0 devices. I have a W510 as well and i can plug any USB 2.0 device into the USB 3.0 ports.

Am i missing something?

Welcome to the forum Stephanie. dbageek (also welcome) is correct, the USB 3.0 standard is a backward compatible standard and will work with older USB versions.

What you can't do is get USB 3.0 performance out of a USB 2.0 device. You also can't get a USB 2.0 port to take advantage of the the full capabilities of a USB 3.0 device. Whatever the lowest component (the port or the device) standard (USB 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0) in the chain is that is the performance you will get for both.

Also I should mention there is no change in the size or shape so an adapter is not required for physical connection purposes.

OP
S

stephaniedlsl

Dear dbageek!

Thank you!!!! I had no idea they were backwards compatible. Thank you for taking the time to explain this.

So, with this in mind, what do you think -- will remote devices like the ones used for powerpoint presentations work with the Surface Pro? I hope so. This would be a huge benefit to be able to just show up with a tablet and conduct training. I use a kensington remote

Am i missing something?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Dear dbageek!

Thank you!!!! I had no idea they were backwards compatible. Thank you for taking the time to explain this.

So, with this in mind, what do you think -- will remote devices like the ones used for powerpoint presentations work with the Surface Pro? I hope so. This would be a huge benefit to be able to just show up with a tablet and conduct training. I use a kensington remote

Stephanie, the answer is yes. Any and all usb devices will work on the Surface Pro. There are no special requirements, adapters or otherwise.

JP

OP
S

stephaniedlsl

Outstanding -- this was the last question I had before making my final decision to purchase the Pro.

For business users, the availability of a tablet running full versions of MS office and other applications is a no brainer.

I am not looking for a full time replacement of my laptop -- I spend 10 - 12 hours a day working and the comfort of a thinkpad for typing etc.. simply cannot be beat. However the ability to take my professional documents and APS on the road with a light weight touch device is very much desired.

Can't wait until Feb 9th!