What's new

Surface questions and other options

elgreco

I´m really looking forward to the Pro for a long time but lately I´m a bit unsure if it´s the right tablet/Laptop-replacement (yes I want both) for me.

Because I´m living in Austria and there is no chance to try out the Surface RT I have some question I hope you guys can answer them:

- The angel of the kick-stand. Is it comfortable to work with it? Would you want it anyway different?
- Size. Do you think the screen is big enough for everyday office, power point etc. work or should I think about getting a big TV screen too?
- Other options. I know it´s a surface forum and that No.1 priority here but what do you think of the Lenovo Think Pad Helix? Very interesting Tablet and maybe better suited for Laptop use - What do you think?

Any other alternatives for my needs?

compnovo

I´m really looking forward to the Pro for a long time but lately I´m a bit unsure if it´s the right tablet/Laptop-replacement (yes I want both) for me.

Because I´m living in Austria and there is no chance to try out the Surface RT I have some question I hope you guys can answer them:

- The angel of the kick-stand. Is it comfortable to work with it? Would you want it anyway different?
- Size. Do you think the screen is big enough for everyday office, power point etc. work or should I think about getting a big TV screen too?
- Other options. I know it´s a surface forum and that No.1 priority here but what do you think of the Lenovo Think Pad Helix? Very interesting Tablet and maybe better suited for Laptop use - What do you think?

Any other alternatives for my needs?

I can't be unbiased because I think the Surface RT is a beautifully engineered device, but here goes:
1) The angle of the kickstand works very well on a desktop and I don't have any trouble using it on my lap. There have been some complaints about the lack of adjustments so your mileage may vary;
2) I have a desktop with a 27" screen for doing the "heavy lifting", but I find the screen size on the Surface to be the perfect compromise between getting work done and portability. I'm on the road a lot and find it ideal for my Word, Excel, and Powerpoint documents --- there's such a thing as "too big" when traveling (I used to lug around a 15" laptop --- horrible on a meal tray on a plane);
3) IMO, Lenovo makes an excellent product, and a full Windows 8 tablet that runs legacy apps is hard to ignore (although I personally would opt for the Surface Pro. I told you I was biased). The Asus Transformer (I can't remember what it's called now) was also on my short list.

bosamar

1. The kickstand is great, no problems at all.
2. IMO as far as size goes it great. The Surface is not a desktop replacement, it augments it.
3. I never used another RT tablet...

OP
E

elgreco

1. The kickstand is great, no problems at all.
2. IMO as far as size goes it great. The Surface is not a desktop replacement, it augments it.
3. I never used another RT tablet...

I´m interested in the Pro, not the RT Version.
I was just interested in your experices with the RT because it will be very similiar to the Pro when it comes to the design.

OP
E

elgreco

Thanks a lot for your long answer!
When you look at the design the Surface Pro is really a killer. Very good looking device.

I´m really curious what we will really get out of the battery.
The Lenovo Think Pad Helix has the big plus that you have an extra battery included in the keyboard.

I guess I will have to play the waiting game and see how long the battery life will be with the Pro...

Mhm, really have to say that Microsoft should work on their availability of the Surface in other parts of the world besides USA/CA.
I would love to check it out in real live (RT) to see what it´s like.

J515OP

Super Moderator
1. Having a kickstand is better than not having one. If you don't like the angle then you don't have to use it and there are numerous tablet stand options to put it at any angle you desire.

2. The screen is big enough to get work done. Like most things it comes down to preference. Chances are you wouldn't buy a 10" monitor for your office PC so why would you only use a 10" as your primary work screen if you have the option to use a larger one? That is why you have the output options. Connect to to a large screen when you need it and disconnect when you are on the go.

3. The Helix is an amazing piece of kit. http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...eral-discussion/3046-so-begins.html#post13623. Keep in mind it starts at $1,499 though which is more than 50% greater starting price than the Surface Pro ($899/$999 or +$120/$130 with keyboard cover options).

You should be pleasantly happy with all of these areas no matter what you decide to do.

Last edited: