What's new

Thermal Issue Windows Apps

Hello everyone,

I had this question since day 2 of using my Surface Book (i5, 256)
I understand that SB gets hotter and fan can come on while charging and using it even for the light use I do like surfing and document editing on onenote and word.
However, when I use ACESTREAM, POPCORN TIME (and maybe sometimes when using BIT-Torrent) without charging it, my SB gets really hot and the fan comes on etc. It is usable but I doubt that the first two programs need so much CPU power to generate such amounts of heat every time I use one of them.
I have seen this post Four ways to improve Surface Pro 4 battery life and the first one is about fixing CPU throttling will it help me with my issues? Is there any other way that it can be fixed or is it normal side-effect of these applications?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
For now that is the way to go. In time as more is learned about how to most effectively utilize Turbo Boost, Enhanced SpeedStep, the Platform Power Management Technology as well as dynamically profiling code for optimal power vs performance the operating system, firmware, and hardware in concert will provide the better solution. Eventually all this technology will work it's intended magic.

Yeah just tried the suggestion in the post and it does not work. Any application that was made for windows 7 causes my SB to get warm inexplicably fast. Besides those applications, the SB works effortlessly for surfing the web and document editing, not a single hesitation. Shame that it is taking so long to make the applications work as efficiently on windows 10 as they should. If anyone though has any suggestions or opinion on the matter would love to hear them as well as people who experience this issue as well.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It might be more complicated to get the magic number, I saw this on another discussion of the topic

You can find out your magic number by:
Open Task Manager and go to the Performance tab. Take your processor speed (for example, 1.7 ghz advertised) and divide by the maximum speed (example, 2.3 ghz). This is roughly the percentage you need. So in this case it is 1.7/2.3 = 0.739 so set your max CPU to 72% and turbo boost should not activate.