What's new

translucent bug/glitch on upper right of screen takes over screen and cursor

ds115191

A short while back a light grey, somewhat translucent circle (sometimes a square) started sporadically appearing and disappearing near the top right corner of my screen. At times it would display the "View, sort by..." box as if I had right-clicked on the mouse (which I didn't). If I had a browser, spreadsheet or other tool open and the circle appeared. It would flash on and off and if the browser or spreadsheet had a clickable function underneath it, the function would engage. Other times the cursor would just arbitrarily move from where I was to up near the translucent circle. More recently, it's becoming much more persistent.

I have several strong Malware prevention softwares loaded on the site, on prior to it starting and the second loaded after. Both show no malware. The most recent drivers were uploaded a while back. From time to time the system tells me it's trying to upload a software update however multiple times, it stalls out before it finishes.

The only error message I've received is (See here below) and after going through troubleshooter, I get no where.
1a81ef2c-52d2-409a-9c8f-da4a3ab65d31

Anyone have this same experience? Driver issue? Infected?

Thanks.

PS the first update message above went to 100%, stopped a moment then tried to download again as it must not have finished the first time. It's currently stuck on 20%. The bottom message and error code also appears and as I understand it, it's a vague code that can mean any one of several issues but are not detailed.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I can simulate this problem by gently holding my finger lightly on ANY touchscreen running Windows 10 or 11 on the top right of the screen or anywhere else. Initially, the touch produces a circle, then brings up the righ-click context menu with "View, Sort by ...,", etc. So this seems to be a malfunction of your touchscreen in the top right. Your computer believes it is being touched there, and getting worse with time.

Perhaps your computer is warping, has been hit or stressed, or is swelling near the top right.

OP
D

ds115191

Appreciate the reply. The computer is in impeccable shape, hasn't been dropped or damaged and doesn't appear to be warping. When lightly touching the screen, I also reproduce a light circle however if I touch heavier and hold the touch to the screen, a small translucent box appears then the context menu pops up until I retouch the screen a second time then it disappears. Assuming it is a touchscreen issues with Windows 10, any potential fixes?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Appreciate the reply. The computer is in impeccable shape, hasn't been dropped or damaged and doesn't appear to be warping. When lightly touching the screen, I also reproduce a light circle however if I touch heavier and hold the touch to the screen, a small translucent box appears then the context menu pops up until I retouch the screen a second time then it disappears. Assuming it is a touchscreen issues with Windows 10, any potential fixes?
I agree it may be a software driver issue. What is troubling, however, is that the problem seems to be getting worse. How about doing a "Reset my PC" procedure, with option "Keep my files" as a first step.

OP
D

ds115191

Did a reset and problem is still there, however appears not to be as bad so far. I'll keep you posted as I use it over the next week.

kentwilkens

Did a reset and problem is still there, however appears not to be as bad so far. I'll keep you posted as I use it over the next week.
I have almost exactly the same problem. Small half circle in the top right. I swipe it, changes to a rectangle. Sometimes other large boxes.
Started several years ago, only showed after a few hours and hot. Then it got to after twenty minutes, didnt need to be as hot. Was able to dance around it by swiping it away.
Now it comes almost immediate and extremely difficult to get anything done.