What's new

Turn On Brand New Surface, Have 16.9GB Available Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

borka105

Installed mandatory updates and now have 13.8gb available. I have installed 0 apps myself...

I understand that 32gb turns into 24.9gb with Windows and Office. But to go from 24.9gb to 16.9gb to 13.8gb after mandatory updates on desktop and metro makes me think that I will soon be below 10gb based on mandatory MSFT updates.

Thoughts?

ZachBui

do you have windows.old in your C: drive?
you can also run disk cleaner as well and choose clean up system files too

that should free up 3gb I think, and then if you do the recovery trick you can get another 3gb free.

Right now, on my 32gb, I have 19.6gb free, and all of my installed apps are on my SD card. Depending on browsed sites/windows updates, that's usually another 1gb if you don't clean it out right away.

Last edited:
OP
B

borka105

What unwanted apps? I have installed 0 apps.. the only apps I have are the preinstalled Bing ones.

I looked at disk clean-up.. the largest file recommendation they are making is 49mb.

I have literally just turned on the Surface and installed the updates that's it...It's a brand new Surface I got today after returning my original one for hardware issues. This is the first time I actually looked at the desktop to see how much HD I have at the onset.

I will call MS Support and see what they say.

leeshor

Unfortunately that seems to be the standard and a lot of people are not happy about it but it has been discussed before.

R0bR

It only appears if you refreshed your Surface.
Thanks for reminding me, I refreshed recently.

Borka, you can transfer the recovery files to a USB drive and you'll recover about 4GB of space, however I would keep it as an option if you start to get low on space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cant turn on brand new mircorsoft surface

disk cleanup surface rt

how to turn on a brand new surface
how to turn on a brand new surface rt
how to turn on brand new a windows surface
how to turn on brand new surface
run disk cleanup on surface rt
surface 2 only 10gb available

Staff online