What's new

Wanted: Method to Quickly Turn OFF Screen (Without Inducing Sleep)

mohcho

Didn't you disable Connected Standby? If so your SP3 is coming back from hibernation not Connected Standby.

I turned it back on today, but it still doesn't look like it's doing the right thing. I think at some point I enabled hibernation through the local group policy. Does that have to be off for CS to work properly?

If you've disabled CS, you will be able to turn off the screen while keeping the device awake and run desktop programs. SP3 doesn't have a native function for this so you will have to download one of the various utilities out there that can do this. The one I've used in the past is Turn Off LCD, a very light-weight, no-installation-needed tool. You can click the utility or even pin it to start to instantly turn the monitor only off. (You might need to run it from an elevated prompt depending on your PC account's admin rights.)

I'll check that out after I confirm that CS is working properly on my SP3.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I turned it back on today, but it still doesn't look like it's doing the right thing. I think at some point I enabled hibernation through the local group policy. Does that have to be off for CS to work properly?

I'll check that out after I confirm that CS is working properly on my SP3.
Yes it would.... also if you leave the device in CS for more than 4 hours it will enter hibernation....

nipponham

Yes it would.... also if you leave the device in CS for more than 4 hours it will enter hibernation....
That's not true. (The fact that you need to turn off hibernate in order to have CS.) Hibernate is disabled by default with CS, (even though it will still enter hibernate after four hours or so), but you can go into group policy editor and turn it on to have it show up in your power option and still keep CS.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That's not true. (The fact that you need to turn off hibernate in order to have CS.) Hibernate is disabled by default with CS, (even though it will still enter hibernate after four hours or so), but you can go into group policy editor and turn it on to have it show up in your power option and still keep CS.
I would need to verify that....

zhenya

I would need to verify that....

Please do. I have already confirmed it on my machine.

If you guys could verify this and give precise directions on how it's done, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to have Hibernate on the Power menu with no other changes to the behavior of my device.

zhenya

Thanks! I just want to be certain that this doesn't affect any of the other power management features of the SP.

mohcho

Well, just an update on this. I forgot that I had hyper-v enabled on my system as I was playing around with a VM of Windows 10 before. I disabled that feature and the connected standby started working as it did before.

So now my SP3 "turns off" and on like my phone when I press the power button or when I close the lid. It comes back up immediately like I want it to, without it going into a boot cycle from hibernate.

I left it in standby last night with 81% battery and checked on it in the morning (6 hours) and it had 79% battery left. It came up almost immediately as well, without the boot cycle.