What's new

UK user... Pro at last!

DannyH

Hello All,

I've been viewing this forum for quite a few months now whilst waiting for the Surface pro to "surface" in the UK. I fought against the temptation to get one imported due to warranties and not knowing how the price would swing but bought this from John Lewis the weekend following release.

I have to say I am just as impressed as I hoped I would be and so it seems is everyone else who's attention the device grabs. I just wanted to feed back on some points from reading the forum and using the device:

• Heat - I never really notice this getting too hot, not more so than my iPhone 5
  • Using on my lap - I have tried this and to be honest it works fine for me. Alternatively just use it in tablet mode on your lap!?
  • Screen Tilt - Perfect for me, I am already using this in place of my work laptop
  • Speed - Wow, even from cold boot this thing is ready to go in about 5 seconds, unbelievable
  • Speed 2 - As the flash chip is directly attached to the board it really shows, even x86 apps open instantly
  • Storage - I have a 128GB model and after having a desktop with 1.5 TB I realise that most of what I was storing I didnt need o definitely dont need to be mobile. I am an advocate of the cloud and use Netflix, Spotify and Skydrive to name a few... who needs local storage?

I would like to connect to my speakers, large HD screen and a wireless keyboard and mouse for when doing more serious desk work, which dock do people have experience with? The following looks good to me:

Kensington - Laptop Docking Station with Video & Ethernet sd400v

Hopefully this device will continue to impress.

TeknoBlast

I watch a lot of movies and shows on my Pro and also have the 128GB, but after installing all the applications I needed, I was left with 50GB or so. I also have a 64GB microSD card and I use that as a holder of any movies I want to watch later. Anything I have on my local drive, I delete when I'm done and then from a movie from the sd card to the local drive.

Have fun with the Pro, it's a great device.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Congrats and welcome. That is a popular docking station and there are others very similar. There are a couple of threads discussing the various docking options but the all in one docks seem to be the most popular. Try a forum search and you should find the threads.

mitchellvii

Maybe they make them different in the UK, but you can fry an egg on the back of my SP when I'm watching Netflix.

ToluAbisola

Hi I'm also a UK PRO user but couldn't wait so got it imported from the US.

The main reason I wanted to use is so I could utilise it as my mobile art workstation (the dream was being able to model in ZBrush while on the train)

And after a few adjustments resolution, software and drivers it now fulfils this role spectacularly!

I'm currently exploring creating concept cars inside ZBrush and the Surface Pro allows me to Digital sculpt while I'm on the train going home and it feels very natural.

I'm Loving it so far, just waiting for my 64gig memory card to arrive and then I store my entire Digital library on it.

Shame I can't find a good e-book reader though :(

J515OP

Super Moderator
Hi I'm also a UK PRO user but couldn't wait so got it imported from the US.

The main reason I wanted to use is so I could utilise it as my mobile art workstation (the dream was being able to model in ZBrush while on the train)

And after a few adjustments resolution, software and drivers it now fulfils this role spectacularly!

I'm currently exploring creating concept cars inside ZBrush and the Surface Pro allows me to Digital sculpt while I'm on the train going home and it feels very natural.

I'm Loving it so far, just waiting for my 64gig memory card to arrive and then I store my entire Digital library on it.

Shame I can't find a good e-book reader though :(

Congrats on your SP. I guess you really like trains. If I had a mobile workstation I can't say that would be my first choice for a place to work ;) For e-readers you can download the Kindle and Nook legacy apps for starters.