What's new

Solved Unwanted feature (bug?) with opening folders

vxm

Hey all!

Some time ago I noticed that whenever I navigate inside File Explorer it starts to open contents of subfolders in separate windows- at first I thought it's something default, but I haven't found option to disable it. I usually have to click through couple folders starting with Pictures to navigate to different reference folders for work and this starts to be an issue, because I end up having 6-7 folder windows open in cascade.

It clutters my desktop considering I have PS, Spotify, Skype and Slack already open most of the time. I'm starting to think it's bug of sorts, because when I've upgraded to TH2 I haven't noticed folders behaving like this, then it started few days back. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it wasn't default behaviour of Win10 fresh after upgrading from Windows 8.1. It happens both on my Surface Pro 3 and Workstation. I have looked in folder options for a way to switch this off but I can't find relevant option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Have a nice day!

ScottyS

Hey all!

Some time ago I noticed that whenever I navigate inside File Explorer it starts to open contents of subfolders in separate windows- at first I thought it's something default, but I haven't found option to disable it. I usually have to click through couple folders starting with Pictures to navigate to different reference folders for work and this starts to be an issue, because I end up having 6-7 folder windows open in cascade.

It clutters my desktop considering I have PS, Spotify, Skype and Slack already open most of the time. I'm starting to think it's bug of sorts, because when I've upgraded to TH2 I haven't noticed folders behaving like this, then it started few days back. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it wasn't default behaviour of Win10 fresh after upgrading from Windows 8.1. It happens both on my Surface Pro 3 and Workstation. I have looked in folder options for a way to switch this off but I can't find relevant option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Have a nice day!
Open My PC and click View/Options

upload_2015-11-28_6-27-38.png

Under Browse folders click Open each folder in the same window.

OP
vxm

vxm

If only this was so simple- I already have that option checked and it doesn't change folder window behaviour. I also tried unchecking that box, restarting and checking it again but that doesn't help either...

ScottyS

If only this was so simple- I already have that option checked and it doesn't change folder window behaviour. I also tried unchecking that box, restarting and checking it again but that doesn't help either...
Well then something is definitely wrong with your Windows.
Maybe someone else on this forum will know w registry hack that can fix it.
What does it do if you right click on the folder and pick Open (as opposed to Open in new window).

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The registry setting can be found here:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\opennewwindow

1 - Start, Regedit or WindowsKey+R
2 - Browse to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\opennewwindow
3 - Modify LaunchExplorerFlags as 1 (new window) or 0 (use same window).

Screenshot (102).png