What's new

UPS left my new surface 2 in the mail box

macmee

What if it was stolen? Sort of odd that UPS would do this. It was incredibly cold when I opened it.

OP
macmee

macmee

The FedEx guy left mine on the ground in the snow, what is your point?

It could have easily been stolen and then it would be my word against UPS.

Also I mentioned the cold because I'm curious how could it would have to be to cause damage to the device. Doesn't seem to be any damage to this device due to sitting in the cold, but I'm merely curious.

MickeyLittle

It could have easily been stolen and then it would be my word against UPS.

Also I mentioned the cold because I'm curious how could it would have to be to cause damage to the device. Doesn't seem to be any damage to this device due to sitting in the cold, but I'm merely curious.

Man you know we're just giving you a hard time! I personally think it's absurd that they would leave yours in a cold mailbox or his straight up in the freaking snow! Maybe a couple days before Christmas when they've just lost their minds but this is late January and they should be sane by now!

jrapdx

Man you know we're just giving you a hard time! I personally think it's absurd that they would leave yours in a cold mailbox or his straight up in the freaking snow! Maybe a couple days before Christmas when they've just lost their minds but this is late January and they should be sane by now!

Yes but I can empathize with macmee on this one. I've had very similar experience, with UPS or FedEx leaving the computer they were suppose to hand to me (or someone in the office) in person, sitting in the hallway. In one instance the package was there for hours, I only knew about it because another tenant noticed it and brought to my attention.

Curiously, this package abandonment has only happened with computers I've ordered on line, not with any other expensive items. Maybe, OK probably, only coincidence, but I don't know, seeing how many others have been in the same boat...

Last edited:

Dim-Ize

I thought that the inside the mailbox was property of USPS (federal) and off limits to carriers, neighborhood lawnmen/offers, etc.

What do I know though... Glad it was safe and chilly for you to heat up with fun clock demanding apps.

jrapdx

I thought that the inside the mailbox was property of USPS (federal) and off limits to carriers, neighborhood lawnmen/offers, etc.

What do I know though... Glad it was safe and chilly for you to heat up with fun clock demanding apps.

For a mail box, that's true. But the SP2 wasn't mailed. No, the buyer paid to have the purchase transported by a "public carrier" (UPS, FedEx, et. al.) government-licensed to deliver the object to the buyer. Unless instructed otherwise by the purchaser, the delivery of the item is supposed to be acknowledged by signature of an individual authorized to receive the package, certainly not abandoned on the doorstep.

Yes, I know that too often happens, but it's foolish. The carrier is responsible for the item during transport, and should the package "disappear" from where it was dropped unattended, without that signature or proof of delivery, the carrier will very likely be liable for the full cost of the item.

Even if the merchandise isn't stolen (a good thing of course), by all means, such irresponsible behavior is worth complaining about.

drolem

Unless instructed otherwise by the purchaser, the delivery of the item is supposed to be acknowledged by signature of an individual authorized to receive the package, certainly not abandoned on the doorstep.
Incorrect. Signature is required only of the shipper requests it, otherwise it's up to the delivery person's discretion to either leave the package at the door, at some other suitable place, or leave a note. In general, they don't leave packages outside in 'bad' areas.