What's new

Solved USB Ethernet Does Not Work

dcoplien

Tried to download a system image and it stalled out at 1% remaining so I got out my USB Ethernet but it wouldn't work. Turns out it's one more registry error in Win 10 and a problem that's been known for a long time. This should have been included in one of the numerous updates.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Define usb Ethernet. Brand etc

Over December and January I used a usb dock which had Ethernet, with an S3, SP3, and SP4. Everything was just perfect.

OP
dcoplien

dcoplien

Define usb Ethernet. Brand etc

Over December and January I used a usb dock which had Ethernet, with an S3, SP3, and SP4. Everything was just perfect.
USB Ethernet adapter.....if you aren't familiar with them, google. They are not the same as a dock.

It has nothing to do with the brand. MS forums have tons of reports of people with the same problem.

The problem came with one of the updates. If you didn't have the drivers installed at the time, chances are you won't have the problem. I am not going to update my system reg one more time. If they don't get some of the major bugs fixed soon, the SP4 is getting returned.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
USB Ethernet adapter.....if you aren't familiar with them, google. They are not the same as a dock.

It has nothing to do with the brand. MS forums have tons of reports of people with the same problem.

The problem came with one of the updates. If you didn't have the drivers installed at the time, chances are you won't have the problem. I am not going to update my system reg one more time. If they don't get some of the major bugs fixed soon, the SP4 is getting returned.

My usb hub has an Ethernet port as well. How is that somehow different to an Ethernet adaptor without a usb port? Either way it is Ethernet over usb..

Echrada

Tried to download a system image and it stalled out at 1% remaining so I got out my USB Ethernet but it wouldn't work. Turns out it's one more registry error in Win 10 and a problem that's been known for a long time. This should have been included in one of the numerous updates.

Have used a USB Ethernet port since I first received my Surface Pro 3 and am now using the same one on SP4 without any problems whatsoever.

OP
dcoplien

dcoplien

If any of you have the same problem, get a Win 1o iso (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench)- don't use your SP4 iso, then right click on the .iso and select mount.

next from an admin command prompt enter (replace z with your drive letter)
DSIM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:z:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

note: The dsim command is one line, not two

Last edited:
OP
dcoplien

dcoplien

Strangest thing. I had planned to take my SP4 back due to severe over heating issues but after running DSIM with a Win 10 iso rather then one for SP4 followed by sfc /scannow, not only was my USB Ethernet issue solved, my over heating issues seem to have been fixed. Since mine even over heated when turned off and charging, I am wondering if some process wasn't actually turned off. sfc did find multiple errors that I could never fix until after dsmi with the Win 10 iso.