What's new

USB not recognized

bamaster

Hello,

OK, I just ran into something weird. I use a Logitech Anywhere MX wireless USB mouse most of the time so the USB dongle stays plugged in. No problem, it works fine. But today I also plugged in an external drive (2 TB Seagate USB 3.0). The moment I plug it in, I lose the mouse. Unplug the external drive, the mouse works. Hrmm...

So I use the touchpad and then I get a "USB device not recognized" error. It blinked a couple times then the mouse started to work. then both the mouse and external drive stopped working. I did this a couple times.

So has anyone been able to have a wireless mouse and external drive plugged in at the same time?

Telstar1948

I have a SB and I use a BT keyboard and a wireless mouse with it. I have the new dock hooked up to my SB. The wireless dongle is plugged into one of the USB hubs that's connected to my dock. I also have two USB drives hooked up to my dock as well. I've had no issues (yet) as you've described. I haven't tried using just my USB ports on my SB.

leeshor

It's possibly drawing more from the USB port than it can comfortably handle. A powered USB HUB would tell you one way or the other.

OP
bamaster

bamaster

It's possibly drawing more from the USB port than it can comfortably handle. A powered USB HUB would tell you one way or the other.
I don't have a problem with the mouse while using a USB powered external DVD drive. It doesn't use two ports, just one.

The plot thickens. It seems that once I plug in the drive, the wireless mouse stops working. But... it actually seems that the RANGE is affected. Like, the mouse works only when a couple inches away from the receiver. And then it a minute later it works fine... then later, 3-inch range again.

So is there a way to set the USB power setting? Don't most power profiles allow power saving mode on the USB? Nothing in the Surface Book's "Balanced" profile.

Last edited:
Search tags for this page
my surface wont recognize mouse
surface book device not recognized

surface book not recognizing mouse usb

surface book not recognizing usb hub

surface book usb device not recognized

surface ook not reckognizing external drive
surface pro usb device not recognized
surface usb device not mouse
usb device not recognized on surface book
usb recognised surface