What's new

warped or slightly warped kickstand O_o :(?

darkfangex

My surface pro 2 I just purchased 3 days ago from bestbuy the original unit with the lotnumber of 1351 was very warped. my new unit is just slightly warped but I took it because it was their last surface pro 2 with the newer lot number. Now it seems like the adhesive for the middle of the kickstand never stuck so it looks slightly raised on the middle and doesn't sound like a normal click you would hear when you close it so the outer parts of the kickstand are flush while the middle of the kickstand looks slightly raised by about 1mm. you can feel the difference when you side your finger over that part of the kickstand when its closed. anyone else have that issue?

ShotSkydiver

I was just about to post a thread asking this same question, I got a SP2 with the 4300 CPU and the kickstand is warped in the middle, it's raised just as you described. Very annoying.

OP
D

darkfangex

I was just about to post a thread asking this same question, I got a SP2 with the 4300 CPU and the kickstand is warped in the middle, it's raised just as you described. Very annoying.

Yeah I noticed it on some bestbuy display models too. Must be a common occurrence I guess... well it doesn't bother me that much since I already ordered a case with a built in multi angle kickstand so I never have to use the built in one :p

GoodBytes

Mine, with the 4300 CPU, has the stand flat. My first Surface Pro 2 that I got (returned, as faulty, but that was mostly because the box was destroyed by the mail carrier, so I think it broke something inside the device), did have indeed the curved stand at the middle, so I know what you guys are talking about. I tried to bend it back, it worked... for like a few minutes than it took back it's shape. I wonder if it's because it not installed correctly? But in any case, I don't suggest to fix it, as it can show screw drive marks on the screw and could be enough to void the warranty. As for bending it, well... it's risky, as I don't know how malleable magnesium is. I don't think you can bend it much, and could break it, or bend in one shot and have a permanent dent with the paint chipping off. My device was trashed, and I did say without details that the stand was broken. Sooo I could afford to take the risk. I did not remove the stand when bending it.

ShotSkydiver

Mine, with the 4300 CPU, has the stand flat. My first Surface Pro 2 that I got (returned, as faulty, but that was mostly because the box was destroyed by the mail carrier, so I think it broke something inside the device), did have indeed the curved stand at the middle, so I know what you guys are talking about. I tried to bend it back, it worked... for like a few minutes than it took back it's shape. I wonder if it's because it not installed correctly? But in any case, I don't suggest to fix it, as it can show screw drive marks on the screw and could be enough to void the warranty. As for bending it, well... it's risky, as I don't know how malleable magnesium is. I don't think you can bend it much, and could break it, or bend in one shot and have a permanent dent with the paint chipping off. My device was trashed, and I did say without details that the stand was broken. Sooo I could afford to take the risk. I did not remove the stand when bending it.

I went so far as to remove the kickstand and try to bend it back into place, with no luck at all. Like you said, it just bends itself back into place, as if it was manufactured with a bend in it.

jamesk

I think it's a common problem. I mentioned it in an earlier post. My SP2 from opening night had this problem and I exchanged it. My replacement is better. The left side is slightly higher than the other sides, but the center is completely flat so it doesn't bother me when I hold it in my hand.

I recently received a advance replacement last week and it also had a warped kickstand and I immediately sent it back and am waiting for another exchange. The rep told me this is not a common problem but I've seen 3 myself. All of the Surfaces a 2 Staples, a Best Buy, and the MS store me are all flat.

OP
D

darkfangex

Great news got my sp2 replaced the second time now for a perfect one lot no 1352 just a week newer :D also got my touch keyboard replaced same lot number. All is now good and perfect. Kickstand sounds like a click rather than a slap the old one had.

al2fast

I went through 3 256gb models until I got one with an acceptable kickstand. Wasn't a fan of the banana action, Microsoft store was real good about exchanging it. All of their display models were perfect.

OP
D

darkfangex

I went through 3 256gb models until I got one with an acceptable kickstand. Wasn't a fan of the banana action, Microsoft store was real good about exchanging it. All of their display models were perfect.

Hahaha banana action i agree microsoft needs to work on their quality control