What's new

Was about to buy SP3 when saw this bad review on Youtube?

dstrauss

In 2 years of reviews her only review of a Windows Device is the SP3 the rest are Apple or Android....(a couple of Blackberry devices).

Yes - Ms. Griffin is very much an Apple/Android fan (check out her highly technical reviews of the "pocketability" of various iPhones and Android phones in her skinny jeans). :rolleyes:

Also, this is going to sound equally "fanboy" from a longtime Microsoft (DOS/Windows) user, but I have yet to see a very fair or balanced review of the Surface Pro 3 by a committed MacBook (Pro or Air) user. It is just not in their DNA to accept the way Windows works vs OS X - other than David Pogue's brilliant parody of Apple guy vs PC guy when the Surface Pro 3 was first released:

The key about this review to me is watch the first thirty seconds and her facial cues (grimaces, squints, ticks) - although ScottyS is partly right that it has its good moments, you can see it is a strain on her to do the review.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes - Ms. Griffin is very much an Apple/Android fan (check out her highly technical reviews of the "pocketability" of various iPhones and Android phones in her skinny jeans). :rolleyes:

Also, this is going to sound equally "fanboy" from a longtime Microsoft (DOS/Windows) user, but I have yet to see a very fair or balanced review of the Surface Pro 3 by a committed MacBook (Pro or Air) user. It is just not in their DNA to accept the way Windows works vs OS X - other than David Pogue's brilliant parody of Apple guy vs PC guy when the Surface Pro 3 was first released:

The key about this review to me is watch the first thirty seconds and her facial cues (grimaces, squints, ticks) - although ScottyS is partly right that it has its good moments, you can see it is a strain on her to do the review.
Well if you like the Matrix style walled garden it can be very freighting to see the "real world" :)

kristalsoldier

First off hello! I have been reading this forum for awhile and decided to purchase the SP3 until I saw this review on YouTube, which causes me hesitation.

She says watching movies, Netflix etc. is aweful because dark grays are purple and there is only a little calibration with MS driver. You can download Intel's driver, but some say it fixes the calibration issue and others say it doesn't.

So what's the truth. Thanks!

Why don't you see a review like this one:

ptrkhh

You might not want to get advice from the people who hate IE for no reason. Seriously.

Last edited:

Redguard

I watched that same review before purchasing my SP3. I found that the things she railed on were things that I simply filed under "being picky".

Interestingly, I've since then forgotten about her complaints about the appearance of dark grey and purple whatever on Netflix. Since getting my SP3, I've watched hundreds of shows on Netflix without once thinking to myself, "Gee... if only I could see more dark grey and purple". Never even occurred to me.

In short, I think she was just looking for something to complain about so that her audience can consider her to be a true critic.

I like my SP3. Yes, there are a few things that could be improved (i.e. Camera, Windows Store Apps...) but that aside, it's great.

GoodBytes

I don't have the surface pro 3, but I have the Pro 2.
I like it a lot. My only complaint, is that the Intel integrated graphics ruins the device. But the problems affects ALL devices (tablets, laptop, desktop, convertibles), using the Intel integrated graphics chip, which is the mass number of them.

Anyway, if you plan on purchasing the Surface Pro 3, be aware that the Surface Pro 4 is EXPECTED to be coming soon, probably after Windows 10 is release, which rumors says summer, April/June. Just something to keep in mind that you make the most informed decision. Please remember that these are rumors, and nothing to back any it up. So you might be waiting for a long time. But it is not for you to buy the Pro 3 and like 1-2 month later "Oh look Pro 4!". If you can wait, wait, if not, the Pro 3 is an excellent device. And remember, buy what you need, not what you want. As there will ALWAYS be something better.

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade to all Windows 7 and 8.1 users, so you don't have to worry about that. It is a promotion that Microsoft mentioned. That offer will last 1 year from the day Windows 10 will be released, whenever that will be (current state of Windows 10, is it will be ready when it is ready)

New2ToMe

If you have to ask this question based on that review, then no do not buy one.

If you are only smart enough to watch one review and then make your buying decision, I suggest you get down to the local Courthouse and change your Middle Names to "Buyers Remorse."

juanjo322

Here is my thoughts, number one she is coming from a MacBook Pro, she hasn't updated the firmware which is obvious because of some of her complaints and she has no use case for using an Ultrabook Class Tablet... i.e. doesn't see a reason for the Pen, only interested in typing and she feels her hands are too small for tablet use.

As others have said, take this with a huge grain of salt, feels bias off the bat....

Greetings,

I follow her videos and enjoy her feedback etc, she seems to focus a lot on shades of color for correct temperature yada yada yada.. This review was great but then it went south with several complaints. I still took the plunge and barely bought one today, so far after the updates seems to be ok, I am a cell phone freak and I buy them for all the reasons, good screen, good battery, good looks , great security etc .. I am a long time Iphone iMac and Apple TV user, these are uncharted waters for me and seem that I've made a good choice, I handed my iPad to my kids and I think I will be completely happy with my SP3 i5 256gb.. Wish me luck :)

Liam2349

I'm no expert on colors, but the display comparisons that Anandtech do rate the SP3 display as one of the very best laptop displays on the market.

Here's a link to Anandtech's display comparison between the new Yoga 3 Pro, SP3, XPS machines, 2014MBA and others: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9061/lenovo-yoga-3-pro-review/3

I watched a couple of minutes and had to stop when she complained about auto correct when using the type cover.

Last edited:

ScottyS

Welcome to the forum & to your new SP3 @juanjo322.
Being "a long time Iphone iMac and Apple TV user" these truly "are uncharted waters". It all comes down (IMO) to if you can figure out and adapt to Windows OS coming from Mac. Once you do there's no comparison. Ipad is just an IPhone with a big screen and no phone. My SP3 is my desktop (when plugged into a 27" monitor/3 USB3 HDs/wireless keyboard & mouse), my laptop and my tablet.