What's new

What and how many surface pens are there?

trovial

I have one with two side buttons, but on the microsoft site, there are two more pens besides the one I have.
There is one with one side button that appears to be more recent than all the others but I cant get confirmation on that, namely that dates of launch.
My question arose because I want to try the different pen tips that exist on the Microsoft site for sale, but those appear to work with only one of the pens.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes it's very confusing. When I updated my Surface Pro 3 pen to the Surface pro 4 version I had to cancel the order due to a problem and Microsoft sales re-ordered me the incorrect type and I got sent the same version I already had.

On the UK store the older version without different tips is called the Surface Pen and the newer (pro4) version is called the Microsoft Surface Pen.

In the pictures the newer version is showing with the nib kit on the UK site.

I have one with two side buttons, but on the microsoft site, there are two more pens besides the one I have.
There is one with one side button that appears to be more recent than all the others but I cant get confirmation on that, namely that dates of launch.
My question arose because I want to try the different pen tips that exist on the Microsoft site for sale, but those appear to work with only one of the pens.

I have the 2 button Pen and I purchased a second pen with the pen tip set the pen I purchased is different it only has one button Microsoft told me that the only difference is the second button is erase function I think my second pen is better quality it's a little heavier