What's new

Poll What SP3 did you buy/order

Whats the model of Surface Pro 3 you have or will have when its released/funds allow.

• Total voters

iDatus

After 3 months watching youtubes, reading articles and viewing websites such as this one I'm still working on which model to actually buy.
Its either i3 (very cheap and powerful) or probably more likely it will be the i5 with 8GB to allow me to load the more memory hungry programs such as Hyper-V and the odd game.
So I thought it would be interesting to see what a quick poll would reveal for the model people actually have or for the rest of the world (im in the UK) have ordered or like me going to a physical shop on 28th test before you make your mind up.
For me I think the ones that's going to be the most popular is the i5 8GB 256GBHD but we will see.....

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was originally set on the 8gb i5, but well, i'm 2 weeks away from becoming a full time student, and in this day and age, £250 can go a long way to help out in life as a whole. So i settled for the 128gb. It's not meant to replace my desktop so it's not really a deal breaker. I still want the 8gb i5, but i have to be realistic. Fortunately i ended up getting £450 off for various reasons, so I'm not going to complain any which way :) I could have eaily gotten away with a £250 laptop given the tablets and such i already have, this is very much a guilty pleasure :)

OP
iDatus

iDatus

Went to PCWorld, they are only stocking for the moment the i3 (also display model) and the i5 4GB.
I was able to order my i5 8GB in store via business part. I have to go back in store later to get it credited to get £100 voucher.
John Lewis don't sell the i5 8GB at all but have models in stores, not many mind you.
What a farce.
Ow well if I get mine tomorrow I can play with it and then Saturday get it sorted. There is a MS demo on as well in my local store, I can tell them of my experience. I will take some of those 4k youtube clips from other forum post to shock and ore.

EcoGuy137

You can still get $150 as a student in the USA till September 3. Even though I just finished my PhD the store people didn't need to know I was techinically not a student anymore... All you need is a .edu address. Got an i5 128 gb for $850 :)

machined

I got the i5- 4gb, I wanted one for use in lounge mood as I already have Dell Precision as my main machine, was choosing between Samsung tablets and others but this is the best choice ever. Best tablet out there for sure! Also handy in travels.

nalbagli

I recently bought the i7 256gb, this because I really hope this can replace all my other devices, and for that I need it to handle any work I need to do on it. But in the end I feel it depends on what usage do you plan on giving the device.
For me Storage was important but 512GB was too expensive so I bought a 128GB micro sd instead.

DutchYee

I bought mine SP3 i58gb ram because my friend had one. I needed an new laptop so was looking around. Still heard a lot of Surface Pro 3 but the tablet / laptop combination didn't get me. Until i used my friends one. I was sold! Nowadays i'm using my Surface Pro 3 everyday and is f*cking awesome!

rADo

i5 / 8GB / 256GB is the sweet spot between performance and price. Hard to justify i7 purchase, as performance improvement is negligible, but price rise is not.

ptrkhh

As I spend most of my time in metro apps, i3 would probably do just fine.
Moreover, there is practically no GPU advantage from the i5 due to throttling.
(I can't afford the i7 model, so it has never been my candidate)

I would totally recommend the i3 if you spend most of your time in metro apps. Check the link in my sig to know more about the i3 model.

DutchYee

As I spend most of my time in metro apps, i3 would probably do just fine.
Moreover, there is practically no GPU advantage from the i5 due to throttling.
(I can't afford the i7 model, so it has never been my candidate)

I would totally recommend the i3 if you spend most of your time in metro apps. Check the link in my sig to know more about the i3 model.

I get your point. Anyway if you can afford an i5 model you should defently get one. Because you can't upgrade once you bought one. When you get outside the metro apps, i am sure you gonna use the power of the i5 :).

1 tip: Every euro/dollar is it worth to get one!

Joette

Because I was replacing my laptop, and as I use it for all kinds of things, I went with the full monte, the I7, 512 drive. No real reason, just that I only upgrade ever couple of years, so want it to last me, and do what I want the whole time.

I will say that my husband is glad I went with the Surface Pro 3, rather than a regular laptop this time; he's tired of lugging my larger laptop, as it goes everywhere we go!