What's new

What's the pen used for, and what's best for a S3 - pen 3 or 4

MrMrMr

Going to upgrade from a surface 2 to a surface 3, so now can use a pen. What exactly on the surface is the pen used for? Is. it useful, needed, a "nice to have"?

Also which is best for a surface 3, the older pen 3 or newer pen 4? I like the way the pen 4 attaches to the surface 4, can it do this on a surface 3 as well? If not not sure I'd trust the cloth attachment, or is this ok.

Thanks

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The pen is useful for note taking, reviewing documents (Office 2016 or PDFs), annotating or drawing/art....

I use it mostly for meeting notes, requirement gathering, etc.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
My opinion is that if you don't know what the pen is useful for then you're probably buying the wrong device. Just my two pence.

The pen+onenote is the only reason I bought a surface vs the much cheaper competition.

In terms of which pen, the new one does not stick to the S3 via magnets, so forget that. Having both, I'd honestly say just buy whichever is cheaper. On an sp4 pen choice makes a difference, but on my s3 they're equally good (the s3 doesn't have a soft screen like the sp4 so they both feel the same to me). The buttons or erasor certainly ly havnt been a factor which would make me suggest one over the other, they're simply different. In fact using the erasor button as an erasor actually seems less efficient to me.

OP
M

MrMrMr

The pen is useful for note taking, reviewing documents (Office 2016 or PDFs), annotating or drawing/art....

I use it mostly for meeting notes, requirement gathering, etc.
Seems it's more for a lot of office work then really, not sure how good at art I am, or how good it would actually be! Can pick a pen 3 up for £20 so might just get one anyway?

My opinion is that if you don't know what the pen is useful for then you're probably buying the wrong device. Just my two pence.
No I know about the pen on the S3, it isn't the wrong device as it's a surface I want, I just thought maybe it's expanded its use, or suggestions what people use it for.
The pen+onenote is the only reason I bought a surface vs the much cheaper competition.
which much cheaper competition please, be interested. One note yeh imagine it's great for that
In terms of which pen, the new one does not stick to the S3 via magnets, so forget that. Having both, I'd honestly say just buy whichever is cheaper. On an sp4 pen choice makes a difference, but on my s3 they're equally good (the s3 doesn't have a soft screen like the sp4 so they both feel the same to me). The buttons or erasor certainly ly havnt been a factor which would make me suggest one over the other, they're simply different. In fact using the erasor button as an erasor actually seems less efficient to me.
thanks for that, seems the pen 3 will be good enough, if I actually need one!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seems it's more for a lot of office work then really, not sure how good at art I am, or how good it would actually be! Can pick a pen 3 up for £20 so might just get one anyway?

No I know about the pen on the S3, it isn't the wrong device as it's a surface I want, I just thought maybe it's expanded its use, or suggestions what people use it for.
which much cheaper competition please, be interested. One note yeh imagine it's great for that
thanks for that, seems the pen 3 will be good enough, if I actually need one!

I can't name any alternatives off the top of my head, but they do exist :) the surface devices are rather high up on the pricing ladder. Much like apple products (imo the price is arbitrary and has been intentionally set against Apple prices for that "premium" feel)

The pen can be used as a mouse (I've never used it for such a purpose), and mostly it is just for creative/professional purposes, be it art, or annotation of documents etc. When not doing university work (the sole reason I bought my surfaces) then the pen gets put away and is of no use to me.

OP
M

MrMrMr

Ok thanks, it seems I may not need it then really, although for £20 2nd hand might get one.

There is cheaper "surfaces" your correct, Linx, hp x2 but I just like the surface. Prefer decent hardware and hopefully this is better as it's designed from the actual manufacturer, as per Apple.

To be honest this is a bit overboard. I seen the surface and thought was great, bought a surface 2, great device, but thinking of the Win 10 free upgrade tempted me to get a S3 even though it doesn't get used loads, just love gadgets!

Would something like this work? A non MS pen but says compatible?
Microsoft Surface Pen for Surface 3 and Surface Pro 3/ Surface Pro 4 Digitizes Stylus Pen Microsoft Surface Pen for Surface 3 and Surface Pro 3: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
can't comment on it's durability or build quality, but it looks like it should do the job. AFAIK so long as it is a pen designed for n-trig screens, then it should work. There is an HTC pen that gets pretty good reviews and has often been on offer for pennies.

Regarding the 3 pens in your last post, the first is, well, no idea, looks cheap and chinese :). The second is the original SP3/S3 pen, and the last is the new pen that comes with the SP4. The difference between the two is that on the new one, the eraser button acts as an eraser, it has a flat edge with an easy to use right-click button (compared to two slightly annoying easy to accidentally press buttons on the old pen), and it does not reuire the 3 cell batteries for the bluetooth button. The new pen also has a softer tip, making it less like writing on a piece of glass, and the tips can be changed out for 2H, H, HB nibs if so desired (at an additional expense)

OP
M

MrMrMr

can't comment on it's durability or build quality, but it looks like it should do the job. AFAIK so long as it is a pen designed for n-trig screens, then it should work. There is an HTC pen that gets pretty good reviews and has often been on offer for pennies.

Regarding the 3 pens in your last post, the first is, well, no idea, looks cheap and chinese :). The second is the original SP3/S3 pen, and the last is the new pen that comes with the SP4. The difference between the two is that on the new one, the eraser button acts as an eraser, it has a flat edge with an easy to use right-click button (compared to two slightly annoying easy to accidentally press buttons on the old pen), and it does not reuire the 3 cell batteries for the bluetooth button.
Thanks for that, and your other post ;)

Pity then as I want a black pen ideally, they did make a surface 3 black pen didn't they? I thought the first one was, it's labelled up MS pen 3 as well, but you think it maybe a fake?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for that, and your other post ;)

Pity then as I want a black pen ideally, they did make a surface 3 black pen didn't they? I thought the first one was, it's labelled up MS pen 3 as well, but you think it maybe a fake?

It was fairly late into the SP3/S3 life cycle when they decided they would start selling pens in a range of colours. Prior to that it was silver or silver. I personally think the silver looks great. Matches the rear and outer edge of the surface, and contrasts nicely with the black bezel :) Just looking at my pen now and I personally think a black pen would look weird (possibly because after almost 2 years I'm rather attached to my silver pen)

OP
M

MrMrMr

mmm ok might change my mind then... Silver looks nice just thought stuck beside the keyboard might look odd.

Where do you store yours then if don't use a loop. So you think the 2nd link above for a S3 is good enough?

Also read now that a surface app can configure to open different apps etc, can this be done on S3 with above 2nd link pen to?

Thanks

LibbyLA

I prefer the SP4 pen. It seems more responsive and I really like the "eraser" button at the top. Much more intuitive for me than using a button on the side.