What's new

What's the pen used for, and what's best for a S3 - pen 3 or 4

OP
M

MrMrMr

I prefer the SP4 pen. It seems more responsive and I really like the "eraser" button at the top. Much more intuitive for me than using a button on the side.
Are you using the 4 pen on a 3? Does the 4 pen still have the (i think) configurable button to open other apps though if eraser is on the top?

Thanks

LibbyLA

Using the 4 pen on both S3 and SP3. Haven't tried configuring the eraser. I like it as an eraser and pretty much only use it to write on OneNote pages when I use my S3 instead of a whiteboard.

With Respect To alternative for the SP3 Stylus/Pen, I had a "HTC Stylus Scribe Digital Pen for Flyer, EVO View 4G" that worked GREAT, but I see Amazon no longer sells it.

There were differences with the SP4 Pen that the HTC did not work with the SP4, though, oddly, the SP4 Pen worked on the SP3 (excluding the contrast change from tip replacements).

OP
M

MrMrMr

Ok I've now got the surface 3 pen. Can the top button be changed to open other apps or only one note app?

Turbo4AWD

Wow, I really must be the only person who bought a surface 3 and pen only. I didn't get the keyboard because of the onscreen keyboard and I use the pen for clicking links, etc, like a mouse.

OP
M

MrMrMr

Wow, I really must be the only person who bought a surface 3 and pen only. I didn't get the keyboard because of the onscreen keyboard and I use the pen for clicking links, etc, like a mouse.
I'm finding the pen ok, but using it like a mouse isn't the best I'm finding. You go close to the screen and it seems offset, is there a way to adjust this?

The on screen keyboard is good though, just takes up too much space on screen at times.

I like the keyboard, even just as a cover to protect the screen though, it can be bought relatively cheap 2nd hand as well.

Turbo4AWD

You can slide the on screen keyboard up or down out of the way. Also, I use split keyboard mode and type with my thumbs (just like I used to on my iPad) and it works well. The split keyboard also helps see stuff that would otherwise be blocked by the full keyboard.

I use Tablet Mode a majority of the time so when I close apps I just swipe from the top down. I don't ever click the red x.