What's new

What's with the two different virtual keyboards?

psnative

I've noticed that the surface has two slightly different virtual keyboards, I like the one over the other for several reasons, one being it has the '@' symbol on the alpha keyboard,...is there a way to default to the one board?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Modern UI Keyboard is contextual, meaning if the Text Box announces its purpose for a URL it will add the ".com" key and if it announces it is for email you'll get the @ symbol and ".com" key. But the App or Website needs to handle the API correctly.

mitchellvii

The last one you have open seems to become the default one. You can add a full keyboard if you want things like a "Del" button in General Settings. You can also lock the keyboard into place or have it free floating.

OP
psnative

psnative

@ jnj...i guess thats the only diff...why dont they just leave the "@" on the keyboard all the time. i mean how big a spacebar do you need. i would also like the "&" on my regular keyboard, use it all the time. also the quote symbols would be nice. using the apostrophe instead can be confusing.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, I have no insider knowledge on why they make the decisions they do, but I will say that as a Tablet PC user since 2001, these are the best OSK's I've used.

Sin

When it's not on the on-screen keyboard you only need to hit the &123 key in the lower left to toggle to the number and symbols screen.

Search tags for this page

microsoft surface virtual keyboard

question mark on surface-keyboard

scary eyes

surface pro virtual keyboard problems

surface virtual keyboard

the different keyboards for surface two

two different keyboards for the surface

what does this symbol mean on my surface keyboard