What's new

When I tap the touch screen it performs a right click.... WHY!

macmee

Sometimes I'll just be using my device, taking notes, surfing the internet or doing whatever and BAM, I tap and it's a right click. Every tap is now a right click. The only solution? Reboot. This happens 1-3 times a day and it's terribly annoying. This bug has existed since W10 came out so why aren't they fixing it?!

beevel

Same happens to my Daughter. She's away at college using her SP3 for note taking in class, and screws up multiple times during class. I offered to drive the 3 hours to see her and downgrade her tablet to 8.1, but she says she can live with the Minor Annoyance. Problem is that I don't think she should have to. MS SHOULD FIX THIS!

Any MS reps in the audience with a comment?

OP
macmee

macmee

Same happens to my Daughter. She's away at college using her SP3 for note taking in class, and screws up multiple times during class. I offered to drive the 3 hours to see her and downgrade her tablet to 8.1, but she says she can live with the Minor Annoyance. Problem is that I don't think she should have to. MS SHOULD FIX THIS!

Yeah I use my SP3 in lectures for notes too, these are all problems ATM:

1. My arm keeps bumping the clock in the task bar and the "date and time" options keep popping up
2. the keyboard randomly pops up because when you tap on screen (which the machine incorrectly also thinks is happening) it thinks you want to type
3. It thinks every tap is a right tap.

The work around I found to #1 is to move the task bar to the top of the screen (go to desktop mode, right click (just tap haha) the start bar and choose "unlock, and drag it to the top)

The work around I found to #2 is to only use onenote when the device is in desktop mode. It's still annoying because I have to switch modes every time I use onenote, but then the cut and paste dialog just randomly pops up instead of the keyboard. Still an annoying bug, but less annoying.

To work around #3 in OneNote you can scroll with 2 fingers (you might have to enable zooming in onenote settings for this to work), but it's HIGHLY annoying because you have to reboot the machine to fix it.

What irks me the most is that Microsoft has known about this bug for months and went ahead with the W10 release anyway. If there's one thing that makes me switch to the iPad Pro it's going to be basic incompetence on their behalf like this. They push their products as being high productivity devices, but if you can't rely on them then they're not very productive!

Compusmurf

Some on reddit say the add on wintab driver fixes the right click issue... Might jump on MSs site and grab it to try.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member

You do know this is a community forum and not an official Microsoft site. for that ...
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro3?tab=Threads

OP
macmee

macmee

How is this not fixed yet?

2 reddit users wrote programs to "live with" the bug and a 3rd reddit user is running a survey to see how many users are impacted by this problem.

1. Why isn't Microsoft doing this?

2. Is there anyone from Microsoft on this forum who can tell me why this bug, which has been well known for months and that effects a core feature of the device (onenote) is not fixed yet?

3. Can anyone (seriously) recommend a tablet to me that's excellent for note taking with the stylus and that's not the iPad pro?

leyvzilla

surface pro 3 with windows 8 is great for note taking.

Windows 10 is junk if you are a note taker. The new onenote on windows 10 is always freezing, rebooting with unsaved progress, and right click bug is extremely annoying. Win 10 needs a few more months before it is ready. I dont understand why would microsoft sell the new surface 3 with the right click bug.

Compusmurf

2. Is there anyone from Microsoft on this forum who can tell me why this bug, which has been well known for months and that effects a core feature of the device (onenote) is not fixed yet?
Considering this is a user to user and not a Microsoft sponsored forum, I wouldn't count on anyone from MS to be here. :)

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
... Can anyone (seriously) recommend a tablet to me that's excellent for note taking with the stylus and that's not the iPad pro?

bigchieftablet.jpg